• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What should I do?

I've been experiencing Crohn's like symptoms for over 4 months now. Diarrhea, nausea, gas, bloating, cramps, joint pain, headaches, mental fog, confusion, fatigue, dizziness, spontaneous bleeding, easy bruising and weight loss. My gp thinks it's Crohn's and did blood and stool tests. I was due to see her today but I'm stuck in a flood! I'm in heaps of pain and discomfort. What should I do?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, it's probably best to call your doctor and explain why you had to miss your appointment today. She may be able to give you your test results over the phone, and can hopefully reschedule your appointment as well. I hope the flood situation resolves soon! That sounds awful. If your symptoms are really severe, are you able to get to the ER / A&E? Or is the flood pretty much blocking you in your house?

We live on an island connected by a road. And it's stuck lol! Yes I will ring her if she isn't flooded in too. I guess if I get really bad maybe we can call SES.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi confused, just checking in on you. Did the flood subside? What did your doctor say when you called? Were you able to get your test results and/or reschedule your appointment?

Thanks cat-a-tonic! My flood is getting higher but we've been able to row our canoe down the street to get to places. My dr hasn't given us the results, but we've rescheduled to Saturday, 11:30.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Oh my goodness, well I'm glad you can get to places with your canoe! Sounds like a terrible flood though, I hope that's over soon. Glad to hear you've been able to reschedule and I hope that you can easily get to that appointment (hopefully by then the canoe won't be needed!). Hang in there until Saturday and keep us posted with what happens at your appointment.

Thank you for the support! You've been truly wonderful. I'm Australian so my time is different. If you check here at sometime around Friday maybe, it should be here :)

Trysha

Staff member
Sorry about your flooding and hope it's soon over
Hopefully you will soon get the medical help you need
Hang in there"........thoughts and prayers are with you
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Thanks Trysha! Flooding is getting lower and I found a doctor who actually listens to me (my 3rd). I'm hoping to find out soon what's wrong!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I think another Aussie member said that she's something like 16 hours ahead of my time zone. So where I am in the US, right now it's about 4:40 PM on Wednesday. So if you're 16 hours ahead (maybe more or less depending on where in Australia you are) then it's about 8:40 AM on Thursday there?

I will check in on Friday for updates! I hope your appointment is very productive and worthwhile.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I was close! :p Math is not my strong suit, ha ha. So then only a couple days to go until your appointment, I hope the time goes by quickly.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi just come across this thread, sorry you have had a bad time, so it's Ibs, it can be bad enough but Crohns can be a real nightmare. Hope your back on dry land as it were, take care and best wishes..

fuzzy butterfly

Your welcome, glad the water has gone.. Btw if the Ibs doesn't settle down with meds.please re check with docs about Crohns because the sooner the better if it should be that, that it's treated early,I pray it's not of course but I just think better safe
than sorry. Hope you keep well

Hi I'm confused

Am I the only one concerned that blood and stool tests will not be enough to rule out IBD?

I am a bit worried because you mention joint pain, fatigue, confusion, bleeding and weight loss, and I did not think those are symptoms associated with IBS, severe or not.

Keep an eye on it and insist on more tests (colonoscopy, capsule endoscopy....?) if the symptoms do not ease up.

I had bruising easily as well but it never occurred to me to wonder if it was connected with my bowel issues.

Thanks king of orange (my favourite colour. You are awesome!)

My nan who has IBS doesnt seem to have these issues either. But are there any other things it could be?

fuzzy butterfly

Hi, I'm confused, as I mentioned it could be Crohns or ulcerative colitis is also possible,I would strongly suggest that you ask your docs to double check for these things. On re reading your first post it does seem most likely that it its one of the two. I hope its not by the way but please try and find out for sure, as early treatment is best. Best wishes

fuzzy butterfly

Thanks MandyK, if it doesn't clear up in two weeks on this colese I think I'm getting a second opinion on CDS or UC.
hi ye that sounds like a plan hun, as i said before if the meds dont help it is probably not ibs, so as you say if its not helped in 2 weeks which it should have if its ibs, go and get the 2nd opinion, the worst thing with stomch/bowel issues is that they can be hard to pin point what it actualy is.. so push for all the tests you can to get the dianosis and treatment.. :ghug: good luck

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Sorry I'm late to checking on you! I agree with King of Orange, IBS doesn't produce those symptoms that were mentioned so I would doubt that it's IBS, but it could be something like IBD or something else autoimmune (other illnesses such as Lupus, Behcet's, Addison's can cause IBD-like symptoms). Given the symptoms that you've described, if it were me I'd definitely be seeking out a 2nd opinion. Yes, it's probably best to give the IBS meds a try - if they do work, great, and if they don't work then you can tell the doctor that you tried and failed those meds and you'd like more testing. A couple of scopes - colonoscopy and upper endoscopy - would be a really good place to start. Imaging tests such as MRI or CT scan can also be enlightening.

Thank you cat-a-tonic! My mum was worried about lupus as my step sister has it. Yeah I think I'm actually a little too young for ibs anyway. I'm hoping that something works eg if it's ibs the men's work, another diagnosis eg.

IBS knows no age. I was 1st mistakenly diagnosed with colitis at 14. Diagnosed with Crohn's at 20 something due to me letting it go until I ended up in the hospital. I would start a diary of everything that you eat, bowel habits as in how often you go and is it hard stool runny etc. Some would say that 4 months isn't long but I would definitely keep an eye on it, keep your doctor informed. Nothing is too big or too small with IBS. Good luck.