• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What stoma equipment do you use?

So on my recent trip to the stoma nurse, she explained that there were a number of manufacturers of bags, and she showed me the different sizes. But all she gave me to practice with was a fake sponge stoma and some bags.

After reading your posts on here I've heard mention of wafers, sprays, pastes and all sorts.

I'd love to be enlightened on what you use and why, and what all these words mean!

Terriernut

We are ALL different! I use a two piece system by Coloplast, called Sensura Flex. I am using the larger bags mostly now, but the bags come in several different sizes. I like the flexibility of a two piece system. And I dont like to change my 'wafer' (the piece that sticks to the skin on a two piece system) more than every 4 or 5 days. If I'm having alot of the big D, a big bag is best. On a normal day at work, I use a small bag. All with the same wafer. Flexible, just like I need!

Consequently, I use Salts 'barrier rings' to protect my skin around my stoma. I also spray with cavilon. It soothes the skin, but also helps the wafer adhere better.

Thats all I use, and it works for me!

Interesting. So I've obviously just been given a one piece bag.

And I did wonder about protecting your skin, it can't be good for it to always have a bag stuck to it.

I've got so much to learn!

Terriernut

The Salts barrier rings wrap around Stan, like a wee blanket around him. He pokes completely out, but the skin around him is protected. I found while Stan was shrinking, the barrier rings helped to prevent leaks. Now with a parastomal hernia and ripping skin, the barrier rings help again with the skin.

Oh, I forgot, I use coloplast powder (it has aloe vera in it) and it helps heal my skin.

Terriernut

Interesting. So I've obviously just been given a one piece bag.

And I did wonder about protecting your skin, it can't be good for it to always have a bag stuck to it.

I've got so much to learn!
We all learn with a one piece bag. And many people stick with them. I did find after I was back at work and running around like crazy I didnt have the time or patience to change the whole thing every day. I could only really get two days out of a one piece.

But, while your stoma is shrinking (and it will for the first 4-6 weeks) then the one pieces, cut to measure do better for most people.

I use a one-piece (and have been doing so for 13 years), at the moment Coloplast Alterna pre-cut. I tried using a two-piece, but had some difficulties with them coming off. I can usually get 3 days out of a bag, unless I have bad diarrhea, which tends to eat under the base plate.

I don't use anything else, but that's personal preference.

The different manufacturers have different adhesives and you might need to try them out to find the one that suits your skin best. They will send you samples if you contact them.

I have never used a 1 piece set-up. I use a two piece from Hollister. I use the one with the velcro tail and it is a biege cloth type bag. I change everything out, bag, and sticky wafer thing every three days. I could probably go longer, but they give me enough to change them every other day and I like to take a shower everyday and after about 3-4 showers the tape starts to lose it's stickiness.

I use the adhesive removal wipes to make sure I get all sticky stuff off, and I use the no-sting sticky wipes as a prep.

So far so good, no problems. (But it has only been 4 weeks)

I use Coloplast Sensura one-piece with Coloplast strip paste rather than tube paste. I also use no-sting skin prep and that seems to have kept the feared adhesive skin allergic reaction away for me. My stoma (ileostomy) is very wet and breaks down the wafer really fast, so even though the bag I use is considered extended wear, I still have to change it every other day or I have terrible skin sores around the opening.

Indeed...we are all very, very different on this matter.

I use dansac nova life 2 piece open pouches with the nova x3 base. The base is basically 3 mm thick which means that it lasts for ages! Although on the downside, it's large. I also use medium sized bags.

Also I tend to get a black mark around the base of my bag when I take it off from the adhesive, so I use these wipes called lift plus to get them off. The only other thing I really use is the adhesive spray to get my bag off and mint drops to put in my bag.

Oh yeah.. forgot to mention the deodorizer. I use Hollister m9 deodorizer in my bag. The bottle says to use 4 to 12 drops and I use 12. It works good for me.

Ileostomy output has a unique stank to it that does die down somewhat after the first few months. I still use deodorizer, though.

Terriernut

Dang...I rather ENJOY stinking up the joint. Lord knows my partner does. I feel the need to pay him back! :ycool:

I was started with a one piece coloplast setup and I still am using it 4 months out of surgery. I usually have a ring of coloplast adhesive paste which is usually just for peace of mind.
I usually get 4 days out of each bag. There have been a few times that I've gotten 5-7. I try not to go over 4 days, but returning to class has me occupied during Berry's quiet time (when I prefer to change the bag).
Once I got the hang of the changing everything I've been so happy with the one piece.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
One piece Cymed bag.
3M Cavilon spray.
Convatec tube paste.

Allkare adhesive remover wipes to help me remove the bag/wafer for changing.

Liquid softsoap to wash around my stoma when changing bag/wafer. Make sure the soap does not have any moisturizers in it. Moisturizers may compromise the wafer's ability to stick to your skin.

Sometimes I use Torbot aloe wipes when things are a little red around my stoma.

I could never get those barrier rings to work for me...poor technique I guess!

Use a cut-to-fit bag/wafer until your stoma stops shrinking.

I use a pelican convex 1 piece bag. I used barrier rings but could probably stop using them now Ozzie has shrunk to a tiny shadow of his former self.
I might even stop using the convex bags soon as I have noticed they do push him out a bit.
I don't use any wipes, sprays or preps as these are the things that irritate my skin, not the adhesive. I take my bag off in the shower and just wash around with warm water. Dry off and stick another bag on.
I have got it to 15 - 20 minutes now for shower, bag off dry off run upstairs and new bag on! Quite huffed!
I have 6 days from a bag before and i have also only got an hour. Did have really bad d at the time though.
Need to have my bags template re done again soon cause Ozzie has shrunk again! He thinks I am starving him but I am not.
Well not intentionally!

Nyx

I use the Coloplast 2 piece SenSura with small bags and that's all I use. I just use plain soap and water to wash around my stoma and get the sticky residue off. I have a colostomy though, so very rarely have the big D and have had no leaks at all (and now that I've said that I'm sure to have one in bed tonight...lol). I used to use mouthwash in my bags to help with the smell, but I don't bother any more...I figure poop stinks, why mask it? lol

I figure poop stinks, why mask it? lol
This for me. They gave me some deodorizer gel stuff to put in the bag, but I am not wild about it.

I only smell it when I drain/change, etc. No one else ever smells it, not any stinkier than what was flying out of me before the surgery.

Oh yeah.. forgot to mention the deodorizer. I use Hollister m9 deodorizer in my bag. The bottle says to use 4 to 12 drops and I use 12. It works good for me.

Ileostomy output has a unique stank to it that does die down somewhat after the first few months. I still use deodorizer, though.
Interesting that you say that because I find the only time my output smells is first thing in the morning. During the day my output has no real smell whatsoever. When I had my pouch, the smell was very strong.

Has anyone used those thickeners? They're small sachets that you pop into the bag. I tried them once, but found them too finicky. They didn't really work too well for me.

Nyx

Paste is the same as the strips or rings...it goes around your stoma to keep the output from leaking under your flange. I found it hard to use and it was rather messy...I liked the strips better.

i use the standard coloplast 1 piece bag that i have been wearing ever since i came round after surgery about 10 months ago....i've never tried anything else cause i think if it aint broken don't fix it, i've never had a leak so don't wanna start messing around with different stuff. i wear the bag in the smallest size.

i use the rings terriernut mentioned, they are a must! and i also use skin barrier spray by coloplast, their skin barrier wipes are great too. order samples from the website! i have a few times and they send you loads!

I use the Coloplast Sensura 2-piece system, although I started with a Hollister 2-piece. I also use Adapt Barrier Rings, and the Coloplast adhesive remover to take the flange off. Since I have a shower without my bag on on change day, I use my fingers to get all the remaining adhesive off around the stoma. Change days are Mondays and Thursdays, although I have managed to go without changing for about six days, particularly in the winter.

The ET nurses had started me on the Hollister and didn't suggest the Coloplast system till about three months after my surgery because the Coloplast system requires some pressure on the abdomen to get the bag to 'click' into place. The Hollister, apparently, was a gentler way to start off.

Good luck with trying to figure out what will work for you...

Kismet

I like the Adapt lubricating Deodorant, the M9 seems like just water and food coloring....

I use the two piece Hollister Flange and the Lock n Roll Bag,
I think im going to go back to the Velcro bags with the carbon filters, air gets in my bag a lot and having to vent it can be a bit of a task... it smells really bad even with the deodorant, so i always have a can of spray on hand to spray in the bathroom

the adapt paste is good to put on the flange,
and the convatec powder helps keep the flange stuck as it is summer and I sweat alot... the sweat will cause the flange to loose its adheasiveness but the powder seems to help that...

I have the no rinse spray but i like to use the stoma wipes :)