• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What to do, Blackish stools.

So last night I had some pretty dark colored stools that also left a red hue to the toilet water around it. I'm in no pain and haven't been in any pain. Stools this morning are still the same. They're also very stinky.

My crohns had been stable for almost a year now with no issues at all.
I havent eaten anything since I discovered the issue last night in fear of making it worse
What should I do? If I call my doctor he will almost definitely tell me to go to the hospital because he always says that.

I have a business trip tomorrow that's very important and would hate to have to cancel.

nogutsnoglory

I don't think you need to cancel but definitely the black stools could be internal bleeding higher up and the red hire is blood from the rectum or colon. If you continue to have this it's important to get it checked out. Any significant blood loss is an emergency.

I don't think you need to cancel but definitely the black stools could be internal bleeding higher up and the red hire is blood from the rectum or colon. If you continue to have this it's important to get it checked out. Any significant blood loss is an emergency.
What should I do? Go to the ER? I have no way of telling how much blood ive lost.

Id hate to go to the er and get stuck there for 2 days like last time

What is the duration of your business trip? I think the situation that you are describing does need attention, and fairly quickly. If you decide to tough out the trip, be sure to look for signs of fatigue, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, twitchy legs. Those are symptoms that your hemoglobin is dropping to low levels. If you do see that, you do need to seek attention because your situation would be getting serious.

When I had these, I honestly believe lack of sleep combined with stress were the big issues, not anything that had to do with diet. In any case, take it safely.

What is the duration of your business trip? I think the situation that you are describing does need attention, and fairly quickly. If you decide to tough out the trip, be sure to look for signs of fatigue, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, twitchy legs. Those are symptoms that your hemoglobin is dropping to low levels. If you do see that, you do need to seek attention because your situation would be getting serious.

When I had these, I honestly believe lack of sleep combined with stress were the big issues, not anything that had to do with diet. In any case, take it safely.
Im supposed to leave monday morning and return on friday, so the entire week.

What could the er do? Just monitor me?

nogutsnoglory

I think if it's a little blood just keep an eye. If it continues and a lot of blood is being lost an ER may be necessary.

So I went to the er anyway and so far blood test has came back normal. Still waiting on a stool test to come back but I'm sure it will be positive for blood.

The blood work is comforting - did they tell you what your hemoglobin and iron levels were? Good to know if they are mid-normal, low normal, high normal, etc. In any case, it should have you feeling a little more confident in going. Keep an eye during your trip, and watch out for those signs of anemia. If you note the blackish stools and feel weak, don't try to be a hero...

Hemoglobin was 13.9.they did a second test 5 hours later and got the same results. Im scheduled for an upper endoscopy in the morning. Guess we will find out

one of my meds said it may couse black stool. and sometimes i get it

tomorrow I'll see my gi so I'll mention it to him.

shamrock15 i hope you didn't confuse me with brfitzp.

my doc told me it's from the iron and it's fine. are you taking iron?

Trip was canceled.

Colonosopy this morning came out normal, no signs of blood. My gastro said he wants to send me home and follow up with an office visit. He said the blood must be coming from higher up in the small bowel. He mentioned a medication change since im only on pentasa and protonix now

Thanks for the help and everyone.