• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What to eat when I can?

Hey everyone I'm still fairly new to having Crohns. I was diagnosed August last year. I went on the 8 week nutritional therapy. Which worked really well until Azathioprine put me in hospital. I then tried mcaptipaurine which I also couldn't tolerate. I'm now on humira which has helped but not great. I know I'm good for rice chicken fish and some soup. What do other people eat when eating is something risky?

Potatoes, but be careful with salt and butter or sour cream. I use a sodium free seasoning called Mrs. Dash because they have lots of varieties. I do well with almost all veggies (no bell peppers though) as long as they are cooked through. For me, meats, not so much, and definitely no seafood. Rice (I prefer well-cooked brown rice), pastas, bread- pretty much starchy foods. Watch out for constipation though, keep your diet balanced with plenty of fiber. Miso soup is GREAT for the body, especially when homemade.

Regardless of what you eat, I have found that the longer you chew, the more the food breaks down, therefore, your stomach and intestines has much less work to do equaling less irritation. I'm talking chew each bite like 30-50 times each! Its SO hard to do but it really does help! If you come across something yummy and non-irritating, be sure to share the knowledge! Feel better!

My go to foods are roasted chicken, mashed cauliflower with a little butter, salt, and cheese, grilled or broiled shrimp and mild white fish, and for whatever reason I can always eat kosher baby dill pickles as well as seeded cucumbers and tomatoes. Bananas are good too but only when ripe.

White rice, white bread, pasta, Rice Krispies, Cornflakes, smooth peanut butter, bananas, avocados, crackers, sweets, smooth soups, eggs, cheese, honey, fish, white meat, milk, ice cream, yoghurts, rice pudding (some people have lactose intolerance, but if you don't, dairy is a safe bet).

Reading this, everyone has posted at least one thing that I avoid!
I also noticed - everyone is different.
I do believe that diet plays an important part in your digestive health, but I think you will have to work out what is best and worst for YOU. It will take a long time but I think it is worth it.
Good luck!