• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What to eat???

Hi, I am brand new to this forum, but not new to Crohn's. I was diagnosed when I was 21 (about 11 years ago) and have been on and off medication, had a few hospital trips, but no surgery (touch wood).

I was in natural remission from end 2012 to middle of 2014 (when my first child was 4 months old). I then lost a lot of weight and still can't put any on, I am getting cramping daily and the other usual symptoms. I am now back on Aza, but it isn't helping, if anything, my pains are more regular and worse. My GI has suggested we try Humira, but my husband and I really want to get pregnant again and I am so nervous about either drug whilst carrying a baby.

I know that stress/worry causes me grief with my pain etc, but I also know I need to change my diet, but I have no idea what to do, as all the doctors, etc say different things!

I am hoping someone here can give me some guidance on what I should be doing about my diet?

Hi and welcome. No doubt you'll get plenty of advise about scd and all that but everyone is different. Some cant eat wheat, gluten, dairy, gassy vegs, eggs, bla bla....
My advise is to keep a food diary and log symptoms. See what foods bother you. Its unnecessary to omit major food groups unless they give you trouble and especially if your under weight.
Its trial and error in afraid.
Ju

fuzzy butterfly

welcome kirst, it is very hard with the food as we are all able to tolerate different things, ie dairy is not good for some but im fine with it, if you can try to eliminate foods that upset you by keeping a food diary as sicknilk said.. go a few days without say potatoes then try them n log how you feel and so on with different things so you may get a picture of what affects you most.. it's a pain but can be
very helpful to know what you personaly need to avoid or at least limit.. best of luck n best wishes..

Thanks guys.

Years ago I did a diary, but only found pizza, alcohol and soft drink would trigger anything, however I am going to do a diary again like you both suggest. I really want to get back to being pain and drug free (if that is possible).

I think I will start with getting rid of chocolate!

fuzzy butterfly

Thanks guys.

Years ago I did a diary, but only found pizza, alcohol and soft drink would trigger anything, however I am going to do a diary again like you both suggest. I really want to get back to being pain and drug free (if that is possible).

I think I will start with getting rid of chocolate!
hi again kirst, im drug n pain at mo, have been for 18 mths now, so yes its possible hun... may be worth a try again as what you can tolerate can vary from time to time.. ye chocolates a good start can be a big trigger for some, go 2/4 days without then try it again n see what if any thing happens, again good luck, hope it helps :hug:

Thanks mandyk. I was for a while too, it was so good! I think I took it for granted though. The thing is, I wasn't doing anything different then to now, so I am struggling a bit as to why I was good then, but aren't now.

Thanks heaps for your support :ysmile:

Thanks mandyk. I was for a while too, it was so good! I think I took it for granted though. The thing is, I wasn't doing anything different then to now, so I am struggling a bit as to why I was good then, but aren't now.

Thanks heaps for your support :ysmile:
i became intolerant to eggs after my first UC flare. i found out by keeping a food diary. It was very soon after eating eggs i would be in dire pain. So it possible with the inflammation your bowel is extra sensitive.
ive never eaten eggs since.
ju

fuzzy butterfly

hi kirst, i hear what you are saying hun , but the thing is if you were in remission then you would probably have been ok , but if you are now in a flare then you may not be able to tolerate the same thing you could then, so it may be worth keeping an eye on things to see how they affect you now, sending best wishes:hug:

Lady Organic

Staff member
in my signature, you can get info about IBD-AID diet intended for CD and UC patients, published in a scientific journal last year. it is quite similar to the SCD diet.
remember that if you choose to return to pregnancy, ideal scenario is to be in full remission so most doctors will say to keep on medication if there is a risk of flaring. a complicated pregnancy is no fun thing. a friend of mine just gave birth in the context of medical supervision for a minor issue way less serious than crohns, it was a pretty bad experience for both the baby and her.