• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What would happen if you become allergic to entyvio?

I'm getting placed on entyvio because I'm allergic to all the other biologics. In fact, I just recently learned I have Remicade antibodies.

Since I heard that Entyvio is the drug they use if your unable with the others, what'll happen if it doesn't work? Would they tell you surgery is the last result or?

I'm worried because of my track record with drug allergies.

Surgery is an option but CD often becomes active after surgery so meds are still needed.

There's stelara, my son is on it as of now. It's doing well in phase III clinical trials. There's other clinical trials that might be an option.

Hopefully, it won't come to any of that because the entyvio works for you. My son had the option of entyvio or stelara. We chose stelara because it's effective for his joint condition, as well, where entyvio was not.

Surgery is an option but CD often becomes active after surgery so meds are still needed.

There's stelara, my son is on it as of now. It's doing well in phase III clinical trials. There's other clinical trials that might be an option.

Hopefully, it won't come to any of that because the entyvio works for you. My son had the option of entyvio or stelara. We chose stelara because it's effective for his joint condition, as well, where entyvio was not.
Thanks! (Though, I'm not sure if they'll give Stelara to me considering I have UC, not Crohns disease)

Ahhh I didn't even notice that, sorry. Not sure what's in the pipeline for UC but hopefully the entyvio will work it's magic for you!

Could you be tested to see if you might be allergic to the drug before they start giving it to you? If that is too far fetched forgive me.

Scipio

So far the safety profile of Entyvio looks pretty favorable. There are anecdotes out there that the rate of formation of antibodies against it is low, lower than typicall observed for the Humira and Remicade. And studies are starting to be published showing just that.

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2016/02/18/gutjnl-2015-311079.full

This study reported that 4% of patients receiving Entyvio developed antibodies against it. For Remicade the rate is often 10 times that high.

I don't know whether it will work for you are not, but there is are reasons for optimism.

So far the safety profile of Entyvio looks pretty favorable. There are anecdotes out there that the rate of formation of antibodies against it is low, lower than typicall observed for the Humira and Remicade. And studies are starting to be published showing just that.

http://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2016/02/18/gutjnl-2015-311079.full

This study reported that 4% of patients receiving Entyvio developed antibodies against it. For Remicade the rate is often 10 times that high.

I don't know whether it will work for you are not, but there is are reasons for optimism.
Thank you!