• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What would you do? Perianal Fistula

A couple years ago I visited India for a few months, and started having diarrhea issues.

Upon my return, this continued, and the only that was found was yeast overgrowth so that is how we have been treating it until Feb of this year.

I was put on a number of antifungals in Feb, and then things worsened, I had pain in the rectum area. I tried coconut oil and it helped alot. I put a clove of garlic in the rectum, hearing it could be good for a possible hemorroid, and things went down hill... major pain. Next thing I know I have an abscess... multiple incision and drainages later, there is a fistula.

GI testing this year (cal protectin, colonoscopy, etc) shows no evidence of IBD.

However, after having a seton in for a horseshoe fistula for a couple months, I continue to have drainage. The surgeon indicated the seton is not in the best spot, and needs to extend it to fully go through the length of the fistula.

Now a small branch appears to have formed also, with a small amount of drainage.

The surgeon says my fistula's are active and acting like Crohn's fistulas. She and GI are recommending I consider medicine... though per the GI there is no guarantee it will work for someone who does not necessarily have Crohns.

I am at a loss. I am afraid not to go on medicine as I do not want to make things worse, but I also do not want to go on medicine due to the possible impact to other aspects of my body. My body is quite fragile as it is.

If the fistula heals on Remicade, can I safely go off it afterwards? Will the fistula stay healed? The Dr expressed concern that if you go off, it might not work again in the future. Any thoughts on this? Is remicade the only medication that works for fistulas?

I am very interested in HBOT, but am not sure if my insurance will agree to cover this. They do cover some conditions.

Would be very grateful for input.

Thank you for the response.

Is the goal of remicade to close the fistula? Or to help with the bowel movements, so that less diarrhea/constipation affects the fistula, and then it might close?

I don't typically have loose bowel movements anymore.

Anita

Thank you for the response.

Is the goal of remicade to close the fistula? Or to help with the bowel movements, so that less diarrhea/constipation affects the fistula, and then it might close?

I don't typically have loose bowel movements anymore.

Anita
Both I would say. Should clear up any nflammation, stop the disease process and allow your body to heal

thank you.
Are there any other medications that heal fistulas?

i am meeting my dr tomorrow. are there any other q's I should ask?

Humira has helped people as well
Both are for crohns and may not work if the cause is not crohns.
Fistulas are very hard to heal.
Good luck