• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What you have for breakfast

what you have for breakfast

Hi all I know they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day but I find it the worst, what ever I eat seems to upset me a few hours later, was just having a coffee to get me going but have stopped drinking that now, just wondered what everyone else eats to give me some ideas x x

:smile:
Happy girl

rygon

Im really bad for breakfast as well, dont normally feel up to eatng until 11ish. Normally a bowl of cereals (cheerios, porridge or fruit n nut). Granola cereals with yoghurt over the top is nice ( i use easy-yo as it has no added sugar and you make it yourself).
Maybe a bit of toast and honey? some fruit and yoghurt?

Unlike a lot of people on here I need fibre! So, it's gluten free muesli with soya milk and toast made with gluten free bread with cholesterol reducing spread. This is washed down with a couple of cups of mint tea.

Mark

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
When I was flaring I would drink a glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with soy milk. Probably any of those supplement drinks would work if you think they would sit well in your belly. It was always enough calories to last me until lunch. Lightly salted pretzels always sit well in my tummy too, or Rice Krispies.
Maybe a cup of yogurt?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Large flaked oatmeal, I make enough for 3 days and warm it up. NO problems with it at all! And rice milk.

Today (because I was at home), a bacon sarnie, but on a typical day, I miss breakfast and have some fruit around 11am. Not good I know, but I just can't stomach food first thing in the morning.

I find bananas really help in the morning. It stops some of the diarrhea. When flaring, I was forcing down a slice of plain toast just to keep from the meds from hurting me.

The most important part I have found is lots of water all day.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Count me in as another one who can't stomach solid foods first thing in the morning. I usually get up at 6 (on work days anyway) and just have water and/or tea until it's time to go to work. When I get to work at 8:30, I have an Ensure. If that goes down well, then an hour or so later I'll have a banana. If that goes okay then I'll have another snack like a yogurt or some pasta around 11 AM.

For breakfast, I usually have a whole grain wheat bread toast with ham and some tomato or red bell pepper with a glass of 100% pure fruit juice, and coffee later.

Usually I drink at least half a gallon of water every day, my doctor recommended to have at least three liters of fluids a day.

Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal with Hemp Protein mixed in (good protein source plus has soluble fiber)
then Either 2 eggs with 1 piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter OR
2 whole wheat pieces of toast with peanut butter
and a glass of Vitamin D and calcium fortified OJ

Have this pretty much everyday

I have to start my day with protein and whole grains. Almost every day I have either:

* A cup of Bob's Red Mill 7-grain cereal with two eggs and a sausage patty.

* A whole wheat English muffin with two eggs and a sausage patty.

I think breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I used to have a massive bowl full of chopped salad with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped nuts and seeds and liver, or kidneys fried lightly in water. Killer breakfast! Set me up for the day!

xxx

A sugar free jello cup, a slice of hard cheddar cheese and a tilapia fillet. Sounds yummy right, but hey it works for me...lol

And Vonfunk's breakfast is one I would love to eat. I love cinnamon poptarts:thumleft:

Last edited:
Boiled eggs
Cereal w/soy milk
toast or bagel with butter or peanut butter

I work, so I need my breakfast to be fast. Usually it's something that I can make quickly in the kitchen, and eat at my desk while I start work.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I do homemade shakes for breakfast; actually I prepare it the day before and have it as a midday snack and the leftovers are kept in refrigerator until next morning, mixed up again and devoured. Love that stuff -- I usually use any kind of fruit that I like, a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a scoop of protein powder. It's easy, tasty and fills me up :)

1 cup of coffee. I heap of pills. 1 pint of water. But after a couple of hours of feeling like shit am good for the for the day :)

Plain oatmeal with a little cinnamon and agave nectar or scrambled egg whites with white toast, prefer wheat bread but trying to take it easy on the ole' gut :)

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
During the week, I usually eat oatmeal or cereal. I used to love shredded wheat, but too rough for my guts now. So, I have been eating honey nut cheerios topped with a little strawberry special k. On the weekends, my husband usually makes me cheese omelets. Yum!

Brown rice congee with pears or plums in it. I mix up one cup of brown rice with ten cups of water and two cups of peeled chopped fruit (big chunks so it doesn't get too mushy) and let it cook overnight in a slow cooker. Then I put it in the fridge and heat some up every morning. I am just returning to eating after being on a liquid elemental diet for 10 weeks, so I need things that are really easy to digest. By cooking rice at a low temperature with lots of water for a long period of time, the rice becomes more digestible. The rice, the pears and the plums all have soluble fibre in them, which is easier on my digestion.

Bobs Redmill Scottish oatmeal with a spoon full of natural peanut butter and some real maple syrup stirred into it, topped with mixed berries and almond milk.

Protein shake with choice of fruit added in for flavor and maybe a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter. Then we top that off with a handful of medication.

This morning I had a smoothie. I cracked open a young white thai drinking coconut and drained the water into a blender. I added the flesh from half a ripe paw paw, and added a ripe banana. Then added a teaspoon of organic Acai powder. Buzzed it up until all the Acai was fully mixed in and then drunk it. Made over a pint. Very filling and very soothing for the bowels.

Real coconut water, ripe paw paw and ripe banana are all good for UC & C. Easy to digest in a blended smoothie form and all very healing for the bowel. I added the Acai as it is an antioxidant nutritious superfood and since UC & C sufferers have trouble absorbing nutrients, we need all the extra help we can get.

hawkeye

Staff member
Before the low fibre diet it was oatmeal, now its usually white toast or low fibre cereal. When I have more time on the weekends it's usually eggs and toast and maybe bacon.

Astra

I have Weetabix or Oat So Simple, and a cup of coffee about 7am
Then at work I have white toast with peanut butter about 8.30am

On weekends I have eggs and bacon with toast.

I usually eat plain brown bread and an apple with a glass of water at 8am then crackers at 11am.....cause I feel hungry again ;-))))).

White toast and tea, sometimes an english muffin with peanut butter. Anything more and I feel like crap all day. I can do the whole bacon and eggs bit, but not until lunch or later.

I'll usually have ready brek (as real porridge is too high in fibre for me) or i will have a wheat free cereal called gorilla crunch, they are like golden nuggets cereal.

but all depends what your triggers are, if your triggers are dairy products then im sorry i cant really be any help
xxx

CHOCOLATE CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST! I have to eat (or drink) something right when I get up or I usually feel sick. Instant breakfast is the best because it isn't super filling and is just a powder mixed with milk so it doesn't make me sick. It is especially good when I'm having my partial obstruction symptoms and can't eat a lot of solid foods. Plus it is soooo yummy!! And it's easy to drink on my way to work (at 6am- bleh!)

I also eat a lot of cereal- mainly special K. And I really like eggo waffles. :) Or eggs, bacon, and toast if I'm not at work and have time to cook. I just LOVE breakfast in general lol.

I had a nightmare with breakfast trying to find out what worked for me until:

Rice & Buckwheat porridge (from Sainsburys) with unsweetened soya milk + honey
2 slices of 'Genius' bread (gluten free bread) with pate but usually honey as I can't be arsed to go get the right pate
Glass of brown rice milk

When I'm being bad, usually something sweet like a donut or a poptart with some coffee.

When I'm being good, usually a biscuit and white gravy with scrambled eggs and sometimes bacon. Sometimes I'll do muffins too. Just depends.

Lately, oat meal with a bit of honey or brown sugar (used to love it with an assortment of nuts & dried fruit, but no more), and a smoothie made from 3 or 4 fruits. Today's was cantaloupe, blue berries, banana & kiwi. Love my stick blender, I just drink the smoothie out of the 1 qt measuring cup I make it in! Very quick, if not fancy.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
This weekend I've been testing out homemade muesli (easy on the nuts and fruit), as my stomach can handle a little more fibre right now. Judging by the rumbling in my gut, my plan might need to be adjusted to, say, 1/2 portion muesli and a piece of toast, but we'll see!

I love my morning bagel with white cheddar, but the calories and fat are not conducive to post-steroid weight loss (will be off steroids later this week -- after 8 months!).

-Kelly (now, Entchen)

hawkeye

Staff member
Treated myself this morning headed out for breakfast- 2 eggs over easy, sausage, white toast and panfries

Not a morning gal but I love me some breakfast food.

When I have time to prepare and my gut is willing, I like to fry up cubed yukon gold and onion, throw it on fresh spinach, add fried egg + gnd flax seed on top with a few splashes of Cholula. Mmmm.

I seem to have completely gone off all meat and cheese since I started eating again 2 weeks ago. So before I used to have Liver for my breakfast, now I have:

Tomato juice with a heaped teaspoon of Barley Grass powder
and
Porridge with full fat Lactose free milk, mixed nuts and seeds and a pinch of salt
and
x 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with extra virgin olive oil and maple syrup.

I enjoy my breakfast very much, I certainly beats the 028 Elemental drinks I was having 2 weeks ago! :)

I had tuna fish w/real mayo & dill relish. Before almost bleeding to death I used to enjoy mixed nuts & seeds...lol

I also like pancakes. I make them for Lilly and I. I spread coconut oil and top with real maple syrup. Sometimes I will add a mashed banana or applesauce to the batter.

1 slice of whole grain toast with a little peanut butter and no sugar jam and 1/3 a banana (I split it with my 2 kids), glass of milk and as previously stated....a big pile of pills.

I wake up STARVING. Always have. But since gaining a ton of weight on the prednisone, I'm trying to keep my calories under control - as I'm on the 'roids again....

Hot tea and A soft pretzel seems to do the trick and not tear me apart so I'm not running out on my students to go to the bathroom :thumleft:

Last edited:
I go back and forth between half a grapefruit (with nothing added to it), and whole 7-grain oatmeal either with water (kinda bland) or soy milk.

I haven't been limited with anything I eat, so every morning I have a cup of tea, 2 slices of toast (generally with avocado), a bowl of cereal, and a Vaalia Innergy drink (probiotic).

Hi!
I do not drink coffee for 14 years already since I got ill, it really upset my intestines. I cook oatmeal porridge every morning with soya cream. Have a half of the sandwich with cheese and coconut butter and half of sandwich with smoked salmon and cucumber, green or herbal tea with lemon and honey. I love my breakfast and it is not boring for me at all even I have the same breakfast for many years :)