• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's a good Vitamin D Supplement?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Besides going out into the sun. :p

I'm told that I'm low in vitamin D and already take a multi that has 400 IU. Whatever that means. :p Either way, its not enough. I'm in California so a good cheap brand name in the US would be good. :) How much should I take too? The more the better? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm suffering from malnutrition based on the severe beating my body has taken over the past 2-3 months from this disease (lost close to 40 lbs and always had high metabolism so gaining weight is a pain).

I was taking supplements but I noticed that they contained 4000IU of Vitamin A and only 400IU of Vitamin D and I remember reading and being told to watch my Vitamin A intake. So, like you, I'm looking for a supplement that would give me a huge boost of Vitamin D and anything else that would be beneficial.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I found some generic brand from work that I take that I found in the vitamin isle. It's the kroger/fred meyer brand D3 5000 I.U. and I take one a day. I got the 100 soft gels and they've lasted me more than a month. Sometimes stores have deals on their own version of vitamins and I keep a watch for it picking up what I need when it's on sale.

Chances are these days any of the oil vitamin D3 brands sold in stores will work at raising your 25(OH)D testing levels. Most places with generic labels will have probably bought from the same production facility.

Personally, I buy Now Foods vitamin D3. It is well priced, and I happen to know the family that owns Now Foods. They sell at low prices and I recall when I worked in the food industry a decade ago that Now had a good quality testing department.

Since D3 is a fat soluble vitamin, you will want the fat form that is sold. Best to avoid the dry tablets.

Everyone is different on quantity needed. The average person will want 1000ius of D3 for every 25lbs of body weight. For example, a 150lb person will want to take 6000ius of D3. Of course not everyone is average so it is best to test. I personally aim for a testing level between 60 to 70ng/ml.

There are two types of vitamin D sold in the US. There is D2 which is the plant form of vitamin D. It is not used in the body as well as the animal form of vitamin D, which is D3.

With the mention about the sun, something to keep in mind is that when UVB rays strike our skin more than just vitamin D3 is created. There are around a dozen or so other substances manufactured too. These other items are not as well understood, but researchers are finding more and more about their importance to our health.

Recall seeing this article on Dr. Cannell's free newsletter the other day on the argument for some sun exposure.

"Proceed at your peril"

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/2012/05/21/proceed-at-your-peril/

snippet from his article:

Dr Cannell discusses the possible dangers of completely avoiding all UV light and how supplements should not be your only source of vitamin D.

I take a brand sold at Walmart, Nature Made, the 5000 i.u. of D3. It's one of the cheaper brands, I am certain, since I am a cheapo, lol!

The mention of Nature Made makes me chuckle in a way. The typical stereotype of someone from the health food industry was of a crunchy granola tree huger. Some where that way. From what I recall the guy heading Natures Made, he didn't fit that description in the least.... not at all. :lol2:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Just got some D3 drops today. Dosage is 5,000 IU and says to take 5 drops (so meaning there's 1,000 IU in each drop). I was gonna ask if that dose was ok but after looking through my thread again seems like a lot of people take 5,000 IU. I'm gonna try it once a day and see how it goes. I get my blood work done again on the 13th of July so we'll see if it helps any. If anyone feels that that's too much to take everyday then let me know. Thanks. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Well so far I haven't gotten sick and died. Also tastes best in tea rather than water or juice so far.