• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's with selling moldy food?!

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
I know this isn't Crohn's related but What the ?!@# is up with trying to sell rotten cucumbers on the salad bar and then making my sandwich on (mildly) moldy bread? I'm so grossed out now, I was already nauseous. ugh ugh ugh I was nearly done with my sandwich when I noticed the mold on the crust. I didn't buy the cucumbers, I brought them to the attention of the salad bar guy who said, "we don't have anymore cucumbers". fine, but don't put rotten ones out!!

omfg.
:stinks:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ugh, so gross!!! I am a very careful shopper, most of the good stuff is in the back , so they can get rid of the older stuff. Even dates are wrong, it is legal to change the dates on stuff??? Wow, you have to buy if it says the date it is made, not when it is rotten. I agree with Paso, but I dont know the laws in the US.

Carrie630

The Prettiest Princess
I don't think it's legal to change the dates. What would be the purpose of having the dates stamped on when it's packaged?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well they can here, apparently it is legal. AS long as they arent moldy I guess. The price of food these days it is not fair to screw the consumer. We grow our own veggies, and apple trees, and mostly bake our own bread. At least then we know what and when we are getting it.

Were you at a restaurant? I see bad produce all the time at grocery stores. I shop at Publix and anytime I see moldy fruit or veggies, I tell the produce dept employees, who seem to be concerned about it (they start removing the bad stuff). They will go get me fresher stuff every time, as they darn well should. I'd call the manager at the very least, though, b/c that's bad where they are serving customers rotten food.

KWalker

We've stopped buying bread completely because it seems we buy it, then two days later it has mould on it. I don't know what it is, but it seems like it happens everytime. We make grilled cheese, toast, sandwiches, etc so its not like we don't use it, but every single time we get bread it goes bad a few days before the date on the tag.

Like somebody else said, we always pull from the back too because its guaranteed to be fresher.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
ummmm...yeahhhh...I'd be making a complaint to the Health Department.....I think you should be able to do it anonymously.....