• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When cooking gets overwhelming - what are your "go to" foods?

Well, we are some weeks into SCD now and I cook a lot anyway, with a large family, but now we're integrating SCD - and it brings it to a new level!

Having gotten through the intro stage but not yet into raw veggies or too many raw fruits these are my time savers:

SCD Foccacia type bread made with almond flour, dry curd cheese, etc... made in double batch and cut and frozen. Pull out a piece and pop it into the toaster.

Dairy hasn't been a problem so I did find little packages of pre-cut cheese that I can slip into my purse when we are running out the door. (no modified milk ingredients - SCD legal)

Unsweetened applesauce with no additives in single servings.

I love tomato sauces cooked with fresh tomatoes, garlic, and herbs - going to make some this weekend and put some back in the freezer.

And the very best is Prosciuto (sp). It is just pork cured with salt and pepper. I've always loved it but now I have an excuse to buy it.

Can't wait until she can tolerate salads, raw fruit, and nuts!

Anyone else?

dave13

Forum Monitor
There is a Hazelnut-Vanilla Pancake recipe in 'Recipes for the SCD' by Raman Prasad that I have tweeked.Easy and tasty.Very versatile.

Do you mill your own hazelnut flour? I haven't experimented with any flour yet except for almond, although I have some cashew flour on the way.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Yes,the recipe calls for whole Hazelnuts.Here is the original recipe by Prasad.

1C Almond Flour(I use almond meal,works great)
1/4C Hazelnuts
4 eggs
2 tablespoon honey
1tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt(I omit this)
butter for frying

My variation is I add cinammon,nutmeg,and clove.I use more vanilla as well.I also stew apricots or prunes and use them in the recipe,very tasty.I use recipes as guidelines and tweek them to my taste while staying SCD legal.

I combine all dry ingredients in a food processor and blend.I then add the remaining ingredients and blend,stopping to push down anything clinging to the side of the processor bowl so it will mix in.I pour it into a bowl and cook like pancakes.I find I need butter to cook with on the first nutcake to keep from sticking,than the oils from the nuts seem to keep the nutcakes from sticking after the first one.

I mash a banana and mix with SCD yogurt and use as a topping.I experiment with ideas.

Feel free to contact me anytime.

dave13

Forum Monitor
Your welcome,let me know how they come out. This is a recipe my non SCD wife will make and enjoys. I'm winning her over bit by bit.

When we started the diet with our Crohn's kid, I went all the way with her, and everyone else (well 4 of the siblings and my husband) have done elements of the diet. It's been one heck of a week but I hope that Saturday can be pancake day.

Tell your wife that since doing the SCD myself (non-IBD) I have lost my brain fog, pms is vastly improved, and my overall patience and energy levels are much better. I think it's done more for me than my daughter. But she's a tough case to crack.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I am glad you are benefiting from the SCD. My wife will tell me similar things when she follows the diet.When she goes off the SCD is when she notices how good she felt while on the SCD.Her big thing is she is a sugar junkie and she admits it.That's her drug.

Has your daughter benefited from the SCD? You say you have been on it for "some weeks",a month? Good luck to you and your family.In my opinion,if you can get them to follow it even partially it has the potential to benefit them.

Is your daughter a member of the forum?

No, she isn't...she can't read yet! She's only 4, so I am here for her. We did 17 days. On day 13 we saw blood again and then it just got worse. Unfortunately, it seems like anytime she has any food at all we quickly return to a flare. I was careful and exact with the diet and the introduction of foods, and even went back to broth and beginner foods after day 13 for a few days but couldn't in good conscience keep going anymore as she was getting worse.

I think we will definitely keep on with it when she can have food again, just for the excellent nutrition. I just have to add something else now for her treatment. Don't know what yet. We went back to EEN and see the GI soon.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I hope the GI helps devise a plan for your little girl.Keep me posted,it can be a slow journey finding answers.