• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When do mesalazine suppositories start working?

I have proctitis (inflammation on my rectum) from Crohn's disease. The doctor prescribed mesalazine suppositories, 1g a day, I have been constantly doing them for 10 days now.

The problem is those bowel movements are still very painful (although I think they hurt less now) and I still bleed.

When do they start working? The doctor said that I will be doing them for 3-4 months then I stop once everything is healed but the bleeding should at least stop by now, no? When can I expect to see a significant improvement?

crohnsinct

My daughter has used suppositories a few times. Once they worked right away. All of the other times they never worked. The GI said her inflammation was just too severe.

FWIW - the suppositories just work topically. On the surface. The first layer. Crohns is transmural so it goes through all the layers. Therefore suppositories work less in Crohn’s.

scottsma

I think we're all different as to how well or quickly meds work for us.I've used them off and on for 16+ yrs and do ok with them.When I bleed I us them for a few weeks twice daily then when the bleeding eases I use one a day as maintenance.Sometimes though,I needa course of steroids to clear things up.Like I said,we're all different,so try to be patient if you can.I hope things get better soon.