• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When do you refill prescription?

How soon do you get your meds refilled before you run out?

• 1-2 days

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 3-4 days

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 4-5 days

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 5+ days

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Depends on the Medication

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters
Just curious when everyone here refills their prescriptions, eg. A day before you run out, a week, etc. Personally it depends on the med, pred I get 5 or so days before because I am paranoid about running out but Imuran I will generally wait until about 2 days before. As well how long a supply do people usually get? I generally get 1 month at a time, initially because my meds were changing but now its just habit. Curious to know what other peoples thoughts are.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Most of my meds get called in between 7-10 days ahead of time. That's what my mom taught me since she used to deal with my insurance and doctor mistakes that can happen at anytime. Now that I'm grown up and taking care of all this on my own, doing it as early as possible pays off because sometimes it can take many days up to a week to get a screw up fixed and you don't want to go without meds.

However with pain medication it gets filled only 2-1 days before I run out. That's my insurances' way of preventing abuse with narcotics.

Alberta Blue Cross will only allow a 3 month supply at once. I usually get my prescriptions a week before they run out. I've had a problem in the past with short supply of some medications so I don't leave it till the last minute.

All of my maintenance drugs are mail order, so I usually order them a couple of weeks in advance, and then they ship a 3 month supply. One nice thing is I can do all of that on-line.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
My insurance only allows for one refill of my Asacol and 6-mp at a time with a notice on each bottle regarding what date I am allowed to get the refill. But since I get them filled at a major pharmacy, I set it up with them so they automatically refill them for me and I don't have to pay attention to the specific days because the pharmacy notifies me when they are ready to pick up. Convenience is key lol.