• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When does a flare require a hospital admission?

I've been treated in the ER for Crohn's-related things, but I have never been admitted to the hospital. I had a pretty awful couple of days last week, which got me wondering -- what's the difference between a flare that can be treated in the ER versus a flare that requires a hospital stay?

I would like to know this. My IBD nurse said because i have strictures i would have to go in if i get abdominal pain with repeated vomiting. Because it could be a obstruction. I havent due to being too scared. But if you dont have strictures, i wouldnt have a clue when/if you should.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
It seems to be mainly up to the doctor's discretion and the specifics of what symptoms you have, how long you've been having symptoms, etc. I have only been hospitalized once, and it was just a few months ago. I started flaring in July, and in August I had lost 17 lbs and couldn't seem to digest any food, not even Ensure. I was having watery BMs 20 times per day and felt horrendous with a lot of pain - basically I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't function as a human being. I had gone to the ER a few times for IV fluids, and the 3rd time I went to the ER, which was in late August, they decided to admit me because they could see I was getting worse, losing more weight, etc. So they did some tests and got me on IV steroids and started me on EEN, and that finally turned the flare around. I ended up being in the hospital for 5 days total.

my little penguin

Staff member
Yeah that
Ds has been admitted four times this year
Prior to that nothing for 4 years
Basically when the doc felt it couldn't be handled at home and/or couldn't wait for testing

I think it's when you have certain symptoms such as a fever, vomiting, abdominal pain so severe you can't physically move or let people touch your stomach to assess, etc.These indicate something is going on that probably requires IV treatment or surgery.

This is just my experience. When I had a high fever, low blood pressure and fast heart rate I was admitted and seen to extremely quickly and put straight on IV antibiotics. Those symptoms show something is seriously up and that you could be going septic. In my case I had a perforation and subsequent abscess.

My experience is similar to Eleanor's.

When my bloods showed infections and really high inflammation readings (it was over 270 on whatever the scale is, and should be below 10), and when I developed kidney problems and a very fast heart beat (over 200 per minute) because of the effects of the vomiting and constant BMs I was admitted. That particular time led to surgery because of an abscess. Have also been admitted when my haemoglobin level went through the floor, which turned out to be an internal bleed. Am always amazed by what they can pick up through blood tests!!!

I've been through A&E to be re-hydrated and have an iron transfusion and sent home before, and that was because the other blood readings and heart stuff was acceptable.

I've been admitted twice and over night in the ER twice since Aug. Obstructions. High white blood cell counts. When admitted, they did a nose tube & IV's of steroids & antibotics. ER visits were pain meds and IV steroids until I had a BM or passed gas. I have also stayed home and blockage cleared itself. My defining symptoms to head to ER are pain, no passage of matter, distended belly, nausea a/o vomiting. The ER doc gave me hell once because I waited 3 days. He avised me I did NOT want a rupture. It's hard to know what to do, but I haven't delayed going again.

I had to be admitted because of an abscess that came back. I also had to be admitted for a fistula. Also for an obstruction and that same year for pancreatitis.

It's such a hard one because, there no in between point of call of Ibd sufferers! I'm in the same boat as you, I can't wait until my appointment but my flare is not bad enough to go to the hospital! Sometimes it's hard to know, and only you know yourself and your own body. If you can't bare it anymore, go to the hospital! All they can do is assess and send you away, but if you see a gastroenterologist, they may decide that something isn't quite right, and you're always of higher priority if you are an inpatient as appose to an outpatient, from what I've been told off professionals.
Hope you get yourself sorted xx