• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When should I expect this to work?

So I started taking LDN a while ago. The same time I started taking it I was weening myself off of prednisone. Now Like most people when I try to get off prednisone my body freaks out and my symptoms returns. So I am not sure if the LDN is getting a chance to work. I will be completely off the prednisone half way through May and I was told LDN takes about ten weeks to fully work. So my question is should I start counting down those ten weeks when I started LDN or when I am completely off the prednisone? Thank you.

Eric

I would guess count from when you started LDN. I wouldn't expect too much interaction/interference with it and Prednisone.

From what I recall from the Penn State trial, most patients noticed effects by 4 weeks, but others not until 8-10 weeks. I personally noticed changes closer to 8 weeks.

I noticed changes on and off from the beginning but all of the time around week 10. The countdown should start 2 weeks after you finish the prednisone. Do not give up. The prednisone really does a number on your body so you have to recover from that too.

Wendy

I have heard many different 'theories' about how long LDN can take.

I see a naturpathic doctor that is pretty familiar with LDN, and he feels that it could take up to 7+ months before it is effective. I wish I could have seen my face when he told me that.

I am at 4 weeks (LDN), and I feel that there has been some benefit, but oddly only in the 1st half of my day. I take it around 11pm and I am getting through the night, and the mornings are better (not great, but better) right until mid-afternoon, and then having my 'symptoms' again.

It would be great to have more information on how the Penn State LDN patients responded to treatment during those two trials (journal entries w/scores etc.).