• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When should I take amitriptyline?

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
I was told to take it before bed, but how soon before bed? I usually sleep at some point between 10-12pm.

Astra

I take mine between 10 and half past.
You will probably be quite sedated in the morning but this will wear off in time.
It is a fab drug and was sent to me by an Angel!
I'll never stop taking it, I love it.
I've never had a belly spasm in over a year.
Amitrip is the first line in defence for IBS (I know, I know!!) but just give it time
good luck
xx

Astra

sorry for the late reply
Amitrip can take anywhere between half an hour to 40 mins to work. It makes you feel like you're on a fluffy cloud!

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
So mums suggestion of 8pm is just to get rid of me then :p haha. Fluffly cloud? Hmm, that'll be interesting! :D

Hi,

I take mine about 9:00 or 9:30pm. Tend to be asleep by 11:30pm. The alarm goes off at 6:00am and it takes me half an hour to get out of bed.

This drugs really helps with the nuropathic pain in my leg. A better night's sleep and a firming-up of the BM are positive side effects for me. Trouble getting out of bed in the morning is a small price to pay.

Mark

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
I took it at 20:15 and fell asleep around 23:00 so I think i'll take it earlier tonight. I don't feel like i'm on a fluffy cloud haha. It made my legs go numb, but that's all that I have noticed. Didn't even sleep well. Oh well, I shall continue to take it any way and hope :) x

tlc-x

Undiagnosed Teenager
Yay it worked! I have had lot less pain today! Not gone completely but a lot more manageable and improved my day :D

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Yay it worked! I have had lot less pain today! Not gone completely but a lot more manageable and improved my day :D
This is wonderful :soledance: ! Not feeling your legs is weird. I hope that part goes away.