• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When to call the doctor?

I am 13 weeks pregnant, and have been to the ER once a couple of weeks ago thinking I had an obstruction. I didn't; and it was just constipation, lol.

I have since had one BM, and have lost weight. I am not sure when I should call the doctor. I feel stupid when it's nothing, but am wanting to hurt myself or baby.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello AshleyElaine,
Sorry to hear you are not feeling well and hope you will soon be better.
You say "wanting to hurt myself or baby" did you mean that you don't want to?
If you have had only one BM in two weeks it is important for you to see your doctors as soon as possible for advice and diagnosis.
Are you currently taking any medication that could cause the lack of BM.
Sometimes increasing soluble fibre can help if your doctors agree .
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Lol; yes, I meant I didn't want to hurt myself or baby. I didn't proof read well. Anyways, I am not on any meds but nexium. It also seems to be a normal for me not to have BM's. I have had a history of obstructions until surgery. Sometimes I feel like it's in my head, and I am just waiting to get sick again, and not enjoying the pregnancy.

I think when you are pregnant the you tend to have to go sooner than later as really you can't take any risks. They will understand but it's not just you you have to think about, that said you tend to be over precautious with your 1st (if it is your 1st!) so it's a fine line between knowing when to go and knowing that it's just a normal part of pregnancy. Constipation can increase during pregnancy anyway but you should keep regular checks with the nurses to keep an eye on your weight. I lost a stones in the 1st 12 weeks of my 1st pregnacy but thats because I hadsuch bad morning sickness and everything except mint ice-cream turned me... Ask your doc if there is anything to help with the BM and keep a good eye on your diet, if in doubt go get it checked and congratulations.

Trysha

Staff member
with a history of obstructions it is very important for you to see a doctor sooner than later.
You also have to think of your baby.
Try to make that appointment as soon as possible.
When you have a physical symptom it is not "all in you head" but requires expert attention.
Hugs
Trysha

You know, I've learned the hard way to call your doc whether anything turns up to be wrong or not. You are not doing yourself or your baby any favors by not getting checked out if something could be wrong! I don't mean that in any bad way at all. It's just better to be safe than sorry. Hope you get to feeling better!

I do know, though, that pregnancy slows down digestion and in return causes constipation. I was flaring really bad while pregnant, but still had a horrible time going to the bathroom most of the time. Anyway... still call the doc!

I'll call the doctor tomorrow morning. I've had surgery for the obstructions a little over a year ago, and since haven't been admitted into the hospital. Like I said earlier, I have gone into the ER a few weeks ago with horrible RUQ pain, and it turned out to be constipation. And do I call my GI or OB/GYN?

My question for everyone, and the doctor tomorrow is, when is too long to wait to see if I have a BM before it turns into an obstruction? Or is me having that surgery cured me ever having an obstruction again?

I have a 21 month old daughter, and flared really bad during her pregnancy, even though I didn't know I was even sick. This pregnancy has gone wonderfully, but bouts of the pain and constipation. If I didn't know I had Crohn's, I know I wouldn't be freaking out.

I guess, in the past I have been right so many times that it worries me, than after surgery; I am now wrong 100% of the time; which worries me. Am I being too hyper sensitive or do I have a real concern?

Sorry this is so long, I am kinda venting too.

I've never been pregnant, so I can't really relate to that part of your situation. But I have been extremely constipated, and it sucks. I just wanted to let you know that I have been misdiagnosed many, many times at the ER. I've been told I was "just constipated" when I was actually really sick. It always resolved itself in a week or so, but being pregnant complicates things. I know how worried I get when I have a different symptom, or something changes suddenly. I can only imagine how paranoid I'm going to be when I get pregnant. You should forget about what the doctors might think if it's nothing, or being embarrassed that you over-reacted. It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially when there's a baby involved.
Call your doctor, and make sure he takes your concerns seriously. Pregnancy CAN make you constipated. My mom said she didn't poop for a week at a time. But, my mom didn't have crohns. You can't necessarily just take some laxatives or a buttload of fiber. You shouldn't have to worry like this when you're pregnant. Definitely call your doctor. Best case scenario, it's nothing and you can stop worrying. Worst case.. Well, you already know that. But at least you can take care of it. Good luck, and a HUUUUGE congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope everything else is going smoothly :)

I think the risk of obstruction is prob still underlying even after surgery. Do you have any other symptoms with the lack of BM eg nausea, pain? Like 25times has suggested don't always believe the diagnosis from ER as constipation. does your GI know your pregnant I would speak to him about it, even just your GP. Also where you constipated with the first pregnancy pre surgery? I wouldn't worry about being wrong 100% you've a genuine reason To go get things checked out even if you get a cranky old doc who tells you otherwise.

First off, I have worked in an OB/Gyn clinic (but I am not a doc) and they always try to tell patients "just call". It doesn't matter if you feel it might be a stupid question. They have heard them all. Better to be safe than sorry! Trust me! Even if it is a question "should I come today or can it wait until I see the doc tomorrow". When it doubt, just call them. :)

Secondly, I suffered from severe constipation when I was pregnant. I did end up in the ER thinking I was actually in early labor at 23 weeks when in fact I was just backed up! LOL. I got the following OKd by my OB/midwife team: benefiber 2x per day, colace 3x per day and magnesium citrate (clear over-the counter liquid) if I went 2 days without a BM. Get an OK from your doc, but that is what worked for me. I also had to avoid certain foods to avoid constipation, the culprits for me were bananas and rice, but everyone is different. I would say to at least pay attention to what you are eating and see if there are any foods that trigger your constipation.