• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When to go to the ER?

Hi! I'm new here although I've had CD for over 20 years. I've not known any other Crohn's patients to talk to about the disease and I'm so happy to have found this site.

My question is when do you know it'a time to go to ER?

I agree with Dex! In my experience, if the thought has occurred to me that I might need to go to the ER, then I probably want to go on and go.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
The hospital has been my second home. If you are in alot of pain, not pooping and or vomiting, best to go to ER. It could be an obstruction or enough pain that you cant drink water and keep it down. Been there so many times. If you pass blood, especially if you are not a bleeder. Being dehydrated and cant get your meds down, that is problematic. Let us know what you are feeling or what you decide to do. Hang in there.

Thank you all for your replies. This site is a godsend. You are all so helpful and supportive.
I've had a lot of cramping pain for about a week now. No blood. Diarrhea, but that's not new for me. Although I have been waking in the middle of the night to go and that is new. I've been trying to drink as much fluid as I can. I do have an appointment with my GI on the 28th. I think I am going to wait it out until then unless it gets worse.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I don't think I have ever gone to the ER for my crohns' symptoms.....HOWEVER - I ~have~ made an appointment to see my GI (he would fit me in within a day or two if I called and said I really needed to see him!).........and gone straight from his office to admitting at the hospital! Quicker than sitting through the ER.....