• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When were you ready for surgery?

This is part vent part question.

I'm tired....I'm so so very tired. I thought I had found just the right mix of meds to keep me healthy enough (not super healthy but enough that bathroom visits were limited to 3ish times a day and in the morn). Double dose Remicade, 50 mgs 6mp and 4 pills of lialda. Well after about a year and a half to 2 years on Remicade I'vebecome allergic...ii had hives in my throat and hives around my mouth. So i got switched to humira. All during pregnancy it was fine then after birth and pow! Symptoms! I've slowly been getting worse over the last 4 months and it'd be one thing if it was pain or needing to go often but I have diarrhea so watery and urgency so bad I could try to hold it and i still have a waterfall...on a DAILY basis i have at leadents, I wake up 3-5 times a night (sometimes I just sleep on the floor next to the bathroom so I'm right there) i can usually get through the day but if i feel i need to pass gas it's usually a bad sign (either it'll be a bloody/mucous fart...that's a good day, or it'llnot be gas at all...)

I'm feeling like I'm just done. Yes I can change meds again, up my dosage of humira, hop on 6mp now (i came off it during the pregnancy) but im feeling like....whats the point? I still have this diseased colon which meds sort of help. My husband wants me to try other meds though because he feels i think surgery is an easy fix (i dont but im looking at the fact that once everything is healed am i going to have to sleep next to the bathroom? Am i going to have to miss my kids activities because i didnt make it to the bathroom? Am i going to have to clean up the bathroom everytime i go to the bathroom? ....could i....dare i say...actually plan a full day and not have to worry about where the bathrooms are, if i have changes of pants/undies,not having to worry about being directly next to the bathroom all.the.time....)

I am calling my GI on Monday and I'll be put back on 6mp. I'm nervous to bring up that I haven't been doing well because I don't want more meds like suppositories. Honestly I'mso tired of being sick...ii feel like sin e my diagnosis I've just been varying degrees of sick (while on Remicade i was not to sick but still sick)...

Anyway my question...when were you ready for surgery?

I am on almost the same Meds, 2x Remicade every 4 weeks, 50mg of Imuran, and 4.8g of mezavant (Lialda). For now I'm doing the same as you were, okay but not great. Honestly if I were to have a reaction I would be at the surgery stage. I actually really considered it when remi didn't work for me initially. My view ( as someone who hasn't had surgery) I think there comes a point where you just want to stop experimenting with meds and really do something concrete.

Very good question. I hope you find a good compromise that works for you.

I also think this is a great question. Lately I've been wondering the same for myself. Every med I've tried so far has failed. How many meds/trips to the bathroom/vomiting/nausea/episodes of pain, etc. do we have to go through until we get relief? My doctor and a friend with Crohn's both say surgery is NOT something I want. I don't know what to think anymore.