• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When you become complacent

Hello,

I was diagnosed when I was 18 and now I am 53. I was at collage and they made me go to a psychologist before sending me to a GI because they thought throwing up while eating every meal was a head thing.

Luckily for me my sister is an RN and she sent me to someone who was able to diagnose me immediately because he had another patient with the same symptoms. It took him over a year to diagnose her.

For the second time I've had to replace my doctor because he retired. LOL, I decided to pick the youngest doc in the practice for two reasons. First hopefully he won't retire and because I was hoping that because he was just out of school he would be up to date on all things Chronie.

Something that I didn't consider was that both my last doctor and I had fallen into complacency. I am going at least 10 times a day. I have had a fistula without any treatment for years.

I only went to the doctor every two years when I needed to have a colonoscopy. When I would mention for example my fistula he would say what you have isn't bad, I have another patient that has a 1/2 inch hole coming out of their stomach.

When I told the new doc that I was going 10 times a day his eyes got really big and he said he is sure I am flaring but I have just gotten so used to the symptoms that I just live with it. He looked at the fistula and sent me immediately to a surgeon.

I have a colonoscopy scheduled in a couple weeks and we'll decide what to do after that.

And let me just say that the prep for the colonoscopy has changed hugely since I was first diagnosed. I used to have to give myself enemas now I just have to take two packets of Prepopik. What a welcome change.

I also once had a colonoscopy without any sedation. When I told the new doc that I had to be sedated he said everyone gets sedated now. I was amazed and he said so many GI docs started having their own colonoscopies that they realized that you should be sedated.

Well I hope to get my diarrhea under control, I'd like to start running again.

I'm so gald you found a new Dr. who knows that ten times a day is redic!!!
Hope you get everything under control and can have a normal, well as normal as possible life after tall this is done. Sorry you suffered so long....:ghug:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Whoa, you did go through the wringer and what changes you must have seen over the years, even if the doc wasn't always ahead of the game! :hug:

Good luck with scope. I hope it gives you solid answers and those answers give you some much needed relief! :goodluck:

Please hang about and browse through the different forums and keep us posted with how you get on. Welcome aboard!

Dusty. xxx

afidz

Super Moderator
I hope the new doctor stays on top of everything. Its crazy what normal is to people with Crohn's. We just get so used to going to the bathroom several times a day and just dealing with whatever pains we have that we don't realize that life can be better. Your complacentcy makes a lot of sense to me. Luckily you have fresh eyes on your case and he can start to get you on a better path of healing. Like Dustykat says, I hope you stick around and take advantage of everything this community has to offer. Please update us when you get your scope done.