• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

White Tissue Like Mucus On First Stool

It seems I had mucus on my first stool but it looked almost tissue blow your nose like and really thick but white. I had that then went down hill everyday after that for a week or so before I was going like every hour and needed to take prednisone (steroids). I got off steriods now after a week and half. Next two weeks were fine then I start to this tissue like white stuff in my first stool.

I hope its not dead tissue that died off and I am crapping out my body?

I upped my Asacol to 12 tablets a day from the 6 I was taking. That made most of the tissue mucus go away so far. I only get a very very little bit of the Kleenex really thick white mucus now. I still dont want to keep doing this. Never had this happen since I got Crohns in 2006 any ideas?

The tissue mainly happens on the first stool. It was kind of alot on each stool when I was doing it before I upped my Asacol to 12 tablets.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Well your colon and rectum are always naturally producing mucous to serve as a lubricant for passing stool. But when you are inflamed, it produces large amounts for protection and it can come out look like what you have described. The asacol helps coat your ileum/colon with a topical ointment of sorts so that your body can have time to heal.

I am curious to know what you meant by "that went downhill everyday for a week". What were the exact symptoms you were experiencing? Was there bleeding and diarrhea?

Glad the Asacol is providing you some relief for now. Hoping you start to feel even better soon!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Did your GI suggest doubling your Asacol dose? Meds are usually done by weight so hopefully this was your GI's suggestion. Tinkering with your won meds may do more harm than good.

Yes that's mucus you're seeing. Usually a sign of inflammation. Hopefully you'll be contacting your GI soon either by phone or in person and let them know that your symptoms have changed and that you upped the Asacol dose. How many times a day do you take Asacol? Its generally meant to be taken 3 times a day. So you're taking 4 pills 3 times a day now?

Since it sounds like you flare fairly often if not possibly were never out of a flare, more in a stable mild one possibly, chances are Asacol may not be enough to get you into remission and going on and off steroids so often isn't really the best course of action if you can avoid it. Sounds like more and more scar tissue is just building up over time. Talk to your doctor about a possible new treatment plan and keep us posted, :)

Hi agree with Crabby if your dr did not suggest you upping your dosage you should give them a call. Also you need to let them know that you having issues. I hope that you get to feeling better soon.