• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Who has experience with Seton's

who has experience with Seton's

I am the mom of a fabulous 10yr old girl named Caroline. She was diagnosed at 6yrs old in March 2008 with UC, that advanced very quickly so we had a complete colectomy in August of 08. She had absolutely no symptoms before the initial incident of blood in stool, but they said she had most likely had it since she was quite small. I find myself very frustrated with the whole unfairness of it all for her. We have tried Remicaid, various antibiotics, 2 complete surgeries for pull throughs, and things will go well for a few months, then something else comes up.. She has had quite a few issues over the past few years, and most recently has had a Seton placed to help control a fistula. Has anyone else had this done, and if so, what can you tell me about your experience? They told me that they did the Seton to keep the area open, and to buy her some time, so if they have to redo things it can wait til she is older...

I have never heard of it, but wanted to say welcome! I am glad that you posted here but wonder if you may get more help by also posting your question in the fistulas, fissures, and abscesses forum if it is something unusual. How is Caroline coping? Another mom describes IBD as a rollercoaster ride...so true!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear girl...:hug:...she has certainly been through so much for one so young, bless her.

My son has had a fistula and abscess but his was internal and required a different type of treatment. We do have a Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses Forum here though and I know there are a number of members that have had experiences with Seton's there. Perhaps ask your question there as well, I have no doubt you will get some advice there. Also pop Seton into the search function (second from the left on the tool bar under the Crohn's Forum logo) and it will bring up the threads that have Seton mentioned in the discussions.

Good luck! I hope your daughter is soon on the mend.

Dusty. xxx