• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Who is on methotrexate?

Hey guys - I may be starting methotrexate injections very soon and would just like to know how it's working for you? Are the injections similar to the Humira injections, i.e., subcu injected into abdomen or thighs? And do they burn like Humira injections do? Do they come in pens like the Humira injections or just syringes? My NP said almost all of their patients that take methotrexate have nausea with it - how has that been for you? Did it go away after a while? How long did it last? How long before you saw effects from the methotrexate, and did it get you into remission? I appreciate any information you can give me about it. Thanks. :)

Thanks, Pen. What I am most worried about is the nausea - to me that is just the worst feeling, being nauseous. Did you have the nausea with each injection for the whole 2 months, and did it last for just a day or was it longer? Yeah, I've been on Humira and Remi already, and my GI said no use even trying Cimzia - it's too similar to Humira and Remi. I do fine as long as I'm on at least 25 mg of prednisone, but any lower and I start having rectal, abdominal and joint pain. And I just have to get off of the pred because of what it does to my blood sugar (I'm having to take insulin twice a day and 2 oral medicines because of it). So basically all that is left is methotrexate or Tysabri, which I'm hesitant to try also because of the possible neurologic effects.

hola lisa:)

i take 15mg meth every saturday orally. some saturdays when i take it i get a bit dopey for the day, so i just lay around watching TV (is that a good or bad side effect??;)).

i'm now off pred completly for about a month (how i miss my little energiser pills...), but this is a good thing.

again, its just another boring "everything works different on everyone" crohns things which is really kind of annoying, but i say go into the treatment with good thoughts and high hopes:D maybe this'll be the one that finally has a good effect with you, i seriously hope it is, remission is kind of fun;)

best wishes lisa, got my fingers and bowels crossed for you:)

hey lisa
i was on put on methotrex when remi wasnt working all on its own. it was the combo of them that helped me.
i had the injection kind, my docs were worried about absorbition issues, so they didnt reccomend oral tablets for me.
it is a subcu needle, i always used the diabetic insulin needles, 5/16 inch so they were teeny tiny.
i never had any sides from the methotrex that im aware of, but its hard to tell like pen said, what symptoms are from as headaches and nausea are normal cd symptoms for me anyways. i did get nauseous when i was doing the injection, but that was jusdt a mental reaction to the process that i have for some reason. i even feel like im about to throw up as im typing this and thinking about it, my mouth is salivating like before you do lol gross, so ill stop talking about it now.
hope that helps and i hope it helps you feel better. youve had a hell of a time lately.

Hi Kromom

I had weekly Metho injections in the butt for five weeks. I didn't experience any immediate side effects, but unfortunately it had an impact on my liver function so I had to stop before seeing if it had any effect.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Hey Lisa,

This is my second time on Metho. First time it impacted on my liver so it was stopped and restarted once my blood levels were back to normal.

It is principally for my arthritis but they are hoping it will help my crohns too.

Initially I started at 10mg and went up in 2.5mg incriments to 15mg over several weeks. This time I started at 7.5mg and am at 12.5mg now and awaiting my blood results tomorrow to see whether we go up to 15mg, sit at 12.5mg or stop it.

I have been taking metho tablets on a monday and folic acid 5mg every friday. Metho apparently impacts on folic and can deplete it.

I have had increased nausea with the metho (nausea is part of my crohns already) and the rheums nurse has got me to change and take my folic acid 6 days a week. In other words every day but the day I take my metho. Its supposed to also help with the side effects like nausea of the metho.

The nausea for most folk apparently lasts a few weeks. Because I have it all the time its hard for me to tell but overall I think the extra folic has helped me in recent weeks.

Hope my thoughts help and you are doing ok honey. Thinking of you. ((hugs))

Thanks, guys and gals for the replies! I don't have an official "start date" yet for the metho. We have kind of just been going with the flow right now and letting the prednisone handle my Crohn's while the rheumatologist treats my newly-diagnosed lupus. Coincidentally, though, the rheum put me back on Imuran, which can be used to treat both lupus and Crohn's (which you all know). If I want to get off the pred, though, I definitely need to start something else for the Crohn's, and metho is my next option. I guess I just need to jump in and go for it and quit worrying about the side effects!

So glad you are enjoying a remission, Jed!! I certainly wish the same for everyone else and SOON!!