• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why am I losing so much weight?

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Feel weird posting this... but a lot of you understand my situation and what I've been through, so I'm going to ask anyways. Thank you for being supportive.

So at my heaviest, I weighed 170. I felt disgusting. That was in 2004, and during my love affair with Burger King.

Then by my wedding in 2005, I dropped down to 155. Looked better, but no where NEAR where I wanted to/should be for my 5ft body.

In 2008, where things really started going to hell, I went from 155 to... wow, it's been so long now, and I have awful short-term memory... was it 140? 135? I really can't remember. I know I posted it here a while ago, but I looked and couldn't find it. Ah well.

Anyhoo, then stupid gallbladder threw a tantrum and my weight went down to 125. After I had it out, my weight has continued to drop - and I'm eating! It's not like I'm eating ultra-healthy, non-fat foods, either. I'm eating lots of Xmas candy, cheese.... whatever I want. I'm now down to 119. My clothes are falling off of me.

Anyone have any ideas?

It's gonna take awhile before you are able to keep weight on Santos. I'm down to 148 from 240. I can't keep weight on either to save my life. Maybe you have some intestinal stuff still going on. Drink boost or ensure (which is what I do when I lose more than I think I should be).

Ris - are you still having any gut symptoms? Has the fatty D gone away - are you still having D? Did you ever have your thyroid checked as you were going through all of the tests and stuff?

Hmmmm - very interesting (and GREAT on the no symptoms). Are you doing a calorie count on what you are eating in a day? Sometimes I feel like I'm eating more than 1,800 a day, but find that I'm not many days when I count them. You aren't taking sleeping pills and doing intense workouts in your sleep are you ;)

IDK - I'd think about having the old thyroid checked maybe one more time.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Time to go back to eating meat....just kidding honey;).Have your thyroid checked like everyone is saying. Also get the standard blood work done.....Maybe it has do with the fact that you are feeling better and possibly more active???

Funny how most people would be excited by this and we are worried about it!
I can't suggest anything Ris, except that it may take a while for your body to adjust aftervthe surgery, even though you are feeling good!?

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Ris,

Gaining the weight back for me seems like something I'm either good at or my body just sucks at metabolizing everything. I did loose 95 pounds pretty quick (2 months). The dr was extremely worried about how quick I lost the weight, how and why. He suggested tripling my protein intake to increase muscle mass therefore gaining my strength back. Its been 2 months now and I've gained 30 pounds back and kinda leveled off now. I know that the pred is making me gain weight too, but I'm really trying to watch the carb intake and increase protein. I can already feel my strength returning.

If you don't eat any meat is it a choice or about the taste? Eating meat is a great way to the right proteins your body needs to grow your muscles. Not all meat is very good, but fish, chicken, and turkey are great alternatives to beef. Buffalo meat is very lean and great tasting too. What types of cheeses are you eating? Usually the sharper cheeses are lower in lactose and there better protein choices than say mozzarella or provolone for us Crohnies.

Are you drinking the nutritional drinks? Have you tried rice pudding? The full flavor stuff can be pretty calorie dense. You should also try southern banana pudding. I can send you a recipe if you 'd like. Really good and easy to make.

There are many ways to gain a little weight and do it the right way. Let me know if you want some other great tasting healthy ways to gain a little weight back. :)

With you in spirit...

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Thanks for responding, guys. I love you all so much. You make me feel like a Crohnie :)

If I drop any more weight/don't start gaining any weight, I'll get my thyroid checked out right away. I haven't started working out at the new gym that I have a membership at now.

I don't eat meat because I'm a vegetarian. I do eat a lot of cheese.... I looooooooooooooooooooove cheese! I'd love that recipe when you get a chance! Thanks so much, Mike! :)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Is your pulse okay? When I was hyperthyroid my hear trate was high.
I agree with calorie counting, you might just not be taking in enough. Try some supplemental drinks with your meals maybe.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Banana pudding us one of the easiest and greatest tasting thing ever.

For a big 'ole bowl all you need is:
- 2 or 3 boxes of instant banana cream pudding (depending on how big you want and your bowl is, use more or less. Its your call. I like making a lot at once. Its easier)
- a box of Nilla wafers
- 4 or 5 bananas (again you're call on how big)
- whipped cream or cool whip (optional)

To make it, crush a handful of nillas in the bottom of it. Make sure it covers the whole bottom. (for you it may be a couple handfuls) :)
You slice the banana and just layer it over the "crust" of the crushed nillas.
Make a box of pudding then pour over it, filling all the spaces really well.
Repeat it without crushing the nillas. Do it as many times as you like.

I usually use the Sugar Free (being a diabetic and all) pudding and lactose free milk to make it. Then you can add whipped cream or cool whip to your liking. I don't like whipped cream or cool whip so I don't do it.

I hope you like it. Enjoy!!

Let me know if you want other fun stuff. I love being in the kitchen I make new things all the time. That one is a recipe from my grandma. Love it.

I'd say the first thing you could try would be counting an approximate calorie count for the day. It could be you're eating below your Total calorie burn or it could be your body readjusting to the new "you" after the gallbladder events. Awesome on the no symptoms though! :)

(Could it be all that shoveling of snow? :voodoo: :D )

Santos61198 said:
Feel weird posting this... but a lot of you understand my situation and what I've been through, so I'm going to ask anyways. Thank you for being supportive.

So at my heaviest, I weighed 170. I felt disgusting. That was in 2004, and during my love affair with Burger King.

Then by my wedding in 2005, I dropped down to 155. Looked better, but no where NEAR where I wanted to/should be for my 5ft body.

In 2008, where things really started going to hell, I went from 155 to... wow, it's been so long now, and I have awful short-term memory... was it 140? 135? I really can't remember. I know I posted it here a while ago, but I looked and couldn't find it. Ah well.

Anyhoo, then stupid gallbladder threw a tantrum and my weight went down to 125. After I had it out, my weight has continued to drop - and I'm eating! It's not like I'm eating ultra-healthy, non-fat foods, either. I'm eating lots of Xmas candy, cheese.... whatever I want. I'm now down to 119. My clothes are falling off of me.

Anyone have any ideas?

all i know is, my boyfriend's gallbladder was removed and he says it makes him umm 'very regular' (basically everything he eats goes right through him but he's not skinny - he's almost 6'5 and 240 pounds - though he did initially lose weight after the gallbladder surgery over a year ago and he maintains his weight now) so maybe that's why you're losing more weight?

Last edited:

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Hey Cheeky :)

Oh I wish!!! Part of me prays to get the diarrhea BACK! LOL

Now..... it hurts so badly to come out, and then I bleed and bleed...

:calmo: LOL!!!

hiya ladies...oh ok... hmmm then i have no clue what's going on with you santos... maybe your metabolism is changing or who knows what....

i know at this forum it's usually not ok to say this, but damn it i can't keep it in anymore....

girl, i wouldn't mind having a weight loss problem right now, lemme tell you. my weight gain is ridiculous. i am scared my metabolism got way too messed up from all the years of my fluctuating weight and messed up eating habits. :( plus i just turned 30 on 3 days ago...*sigh* isn't it in your 30's that the metabolism changes AGAIN? blah!

oh well, it's a new year, i'll see what happens lol

good luck to you santos, please don't get dangerously thin though, go see a doctor now that this is becoming a concern.

ps - happy new year everyone!