• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why did you decide on stoma

JUst want to know why you decided on a permanent stoma. My docs want me to have surgery for a permanent ileostomy but I think I can still save my gut's

I finally decided to give in and have an ileostomy when they told me that I would die if I didn't - sort of takes away the choice! And they had to cut way masses of dead and dying tissue. I had a hole the size of a large man's fist where they took out the rectum and anus and surrounds. It took 7 months to fill in, growing from the inside out.

Don't let it destroy too much tissue before you make the decision.

it was not a planned choice. in fact, had I had more time, who knows what my alternatives would of been... more meds? more toxins? but it was not a choice made easy. complete removal of colon done on emergency basis. with understanding of hook up later on.. well it's been 14 month now. and guess what? my ileostomy is permanent due to Crohn's in rectum developing. lovely surprise there. I know I should count my blessings. but I really hate this damn thing.

I had no choice unfortunately had tried all the biologics which never worked for me but I'm doing great with my ileo no running to the loo 30+times a day anymore and my quality of life is so much better

Lynda Lynda

I am not new to this forum, but I have not been on here for quite a while now. My log in name was Ann Morgan before, but my real name is Lynda. Anyhow, there used to be someone who wrote on here that said she loved her stoma but I cannot remember her name. I am hoping that I can go through a lot of the posts so that I can learn, once again, who everyone is. I want to find a local support group here in my city. Thanks for listening and I hope that everyone has one or two good days here and there. Lynda:sun:

Hi Lynda
I too am not new to here either I use to go by the name crohnielass I m not sure I love my stoma but it's given me my life back. Nice to See you back on here 😁😁