• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why do i have this pain?

I'm sorry for asking another probably silly question but I would be grateful if anyone could help me understand why I have so much pain when I have a bm. The pain is very central and slightly to the left of my belly button and it's always the same place. It's so bad at times I'm gasping for breath. It feels like razor blades moving inside me. At times , when not on the loo I will get random, stabbing pain in the same place that makes my legs go weak.

Many thanks for taking the time to read.

SarahBear

I have that pain at times, although it's in a different location, and mine seems to be caused by endometriosis. Could that be a possibility for you? Do you have any narrowing in your intestines?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I do have a narrowing in my terminal ileum that is thought to be scarring from inflammation discovered last year. It's funny you mentioned endometriosis, just last week at yet another visit to casualty a Dr suggested it could be what's going on right now, he said he didn't think I was having a flare cos I had no diarrhoea. I was tested 18 years ago for it but the tests were negative.

SarahBear

How were you tested if you don't mind sharing? The only way to definitively diagnose endometriosis is by doing surgery to actually look for it. If the condition is severe, it may show up on an ultrasound or MRI, but typically the surgery is needed. At the moment, my GYN is assuming I have it based on symptoms alone, as we agree that the surgery is unnecessary if the symptoms can be controlled with birth control (thus far, it's working). Are you planning to pursue testing? Are you on birth control or any other sort of hormone therapy?

I did have a laparoscopy to check it out but my Dr was more than happy that there was no evidence of anything. I don't feel that endometriosis is my problem, my symptoms are not cyclical, they do feel worse just before that time of the month but so does the rest of my aches and pains, there is no big reduction in my symptoms when it's over. Idid mention it to my gp but he didn't seem to think it was either. The casualty Dr did reckon that if there was anything that it would show on mri? I'm not on any meds that you asked about, though I am having the menopause :)........wonderful lol!!