• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why do I wake up feeling sick and lightheaded?

Hello everyone,

Recently (for a month now) I've been waking up as if a truck ran through me while sleeping. I wake up lightheaded, with brain fog, unability to concentrate, difficulty to retrieve information (loss of memory?) and very strong dullness. Sometimes there are cold like symptoms. And they persist all day.

I already went to the doctor but she said that is not caused by apnea, and the analytics were good. She also doesn't think is caused by Crohns, but I'm not so sure about that. So, do you think this symptoms could be Crohns related? Do any of you have/had experienced something similar? Thanks.

check your diet for any new additions like additives in foods or foods you may be sensitive too. Any chronic illness is bound to have some strange symptoms but what you are describing isn't strictly crohn's symptoms. Much of what you describe is basically how I've felt the entire time I've dealt with crohn's for 12 years regardless of how well formed my stools were, unless I was having a good day which is like once a week or once a month at some points. Doctors/scientists can call it whatever they want all I know is my body stopped working correctly at some point, I don't mean to sound anti-scientific here, but to put it in the most simple of terms I guess.

check your diet for any new additions like additives in foods or foods you may be sensitive too. Any chronic illness is bound to have some strange symptoms but what you are describing isn't strictly crohn's symptoms. Much of what you describe is basically how I've felt the entire time I've dealt with crohn's for 12 years regardless of how well formed my stools were, unless I was having a good day which is like once a week or once a month at some points. Doctors/scientists can call it whatever they want all I know is my body stopped working correctly at some point, I don't mean to sound anti-scientific here, but to put it in the most simple of terms I guess.
Yes, I'm doing exatcly that, a mix of a paleo and ketogenic diet for these reasons. And although it helps, it seems not to be enough. I'm starting to think that the cause can be anxiety due to Crohn's. You say that you have been living like this for years, what do you think is the cause of your symtomps, any idea? Would be nice to have something to look for.

Yes, I'm doing exatcly that, a mix of a paleo and ketogenic diet for these reasons. And although it helps, it seems not to be enough. I'm starting to think that the cause can be anxiety due to Crohn's. You say that you have been living like this for years, what do you think is the cause of your symtomps, any idea? Would be nice to have something to look for.
Consider an elimination type of diet, follow a basic diet getting required calories and nutrients, using foods you generally consider safe, then test new foods one by one doing 5-7 day test periods. most likely you will find corn beans rice potatoes wont agree with you, possibly onions or garlic either.

Everyone will be slightly different but its along the lines of the specific carbohydrate diet. oats and some types of wheat might be tolerable. sometimes people do keto diets wrong assuming all fat is good, and they don't get enough fiber because they eliminate all grains, wheat has very high IP-6 Phytic acid content its really beneficial for the gi tract and inhibiting cancer so you would be missing out on this if you are able to digest some wheat.

another thing is how late at night are you eating? sometimes this affects me, especially carbs that i cant tolerate like corn or beans. anything after 8pm is probably not going to be digested very well.