• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why does crohn's make no sense sometimes??

So I've been feeling crappy (no pun intended) the last few days...but due to my limited diet, I continue to eat food that doesn't necessarily agree with my cd, but is part of the ultrainflamx diet. Yesterday I ate a spinach salad, grapes with skin, and broccoli....today, I feel a bit yucky, but my poo is more normal than it has looked in a looooooong time, and no mucous! How does that make any sense?

I think those kinds of foods get a bad rap from people with Crohn's. But I think that's mostly due to problems with fibrous stuff passing through stenotic (scar) tissue or areas that are actively inflamed.

But spinach and broccoli are actually really good for us! From what I've gathered, it's usually milk products, wheat products, and/or even meat that causes mucous. I'd say keep those foods in your diet but just be sure to chew everything up well, just in case there are some problematic areas along your digestive tract.

I agree we JE. Sometimes I have trouble with raw veggies and sometimes I don't. The trick for me is to not large amounts at one time and to not eat a dinner size salad 2 days in a row. If I do make myself yucky, then I do a juice fast for a day. Resting the digestive system usually works. I have noticed that the more veggies I eat (especially raw), the better certain things get.

Wendy

Do you make your own juices from vegetables and fruits when you are doing your fast? I am beginning to look into this more for an option.

There are a few threads about juicing that have cropped up in the past month or so over in the Diet and Fitness section. But yeah, it's essential you make your own juice, which can be a problem initially, because that means purchasing a juicer that can handle that kind of thing.

Go pop over to the other subforum and check out what people have said. Most have had really good results, myself included.