• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why does popcorn affect people with Crohn's Disease

I learned a very valuable lesson yesterday -- popcorn is my new enemy.

Keep in mind that my lower right side continously aches 24/7. It never, ever goes away and there's only been a handful of times where food has triggered severe pain (Subway and chocolate), but didn't have the runs with either. So yesterday afternoon, the family and I decide to flop around and watch movies -- the husband makes a bowl of popcorn which I don't eat because I've never been a big popcorn person anyway, but decided to reach over grab a handful anyway. BIG MISTAKE! Wow, wow, wow! That one handful turned into sharp "knives" stabbing throughout my stomach, a day in the bathroom and felt like vomitting several times. My poor, poor butt is feeling the affects today. I feel like someone stuck a dynamite in my rear. :eek:

I decided to do a quick search on the forum for popcorn -- had only I did that beforehand! Curse you, popcorn! I didn't like you before, but I sure as hell don't like you now!

Can we please have a moment of silence for my butt right about now? Thanks in advance.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
When you get diagnosed, they should make you take the "No popcorn Oath"
"I will never as long as I live eat even one piece of popcorn, so help me Crohn's-Gods."

*moment of silence for V's butt*

My Butt Hurts said:
When you get diagnosed, they should make you take the "No popcorn Oath"
"I will never as long as I live eat even one piece of popcorn, so help me Crohn's-Gods."

*moment of silence for V's butt*
I guess we all have to learn the hard way :confused2:

(playing taps)

SpoonNinja

Spoonie
oh man i remember my first popcorn episode, i was at the movie theatre with a big group of my friends and omg it was bad! and at this point i had only been dxed for a few months so i hadnt told everyone yet, so when i had camped out in the potty and left early they were worried, thats how most of my friends found out lol, it was funny afterwards tho. but i will NEVER eat popcorn again!

*moment of silence*^.-

Popcorn is baaaaaaaad news bears for me. I remember last summer when my mom brought home two HUGE bags of kettle corn (I used to LOVE this stuff, ok I still do) and I finished both of them off in a span of two days. Yeah I'm pretty sure that contributed to my current flare. Never again. Evar.

So sorry Vshirey! Man I LOVE popcorn, LOVE it, grew up on it, it is the family time snack at my parents house. I'm denying that it affects me...but I have some homemade in the kitchen that I have been keeping away from for fear that it will make me feel worse.

Here's some silence for your rear, dear. ;)