• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why it could still be a bacteria

recent study (title and link below) shows how immune modulators and suppressants can be helpful in direct killing of mycobacterium, thought by some to be the cause of crohns or at least a lot of the cases. this study shows that just dumping in these different drugs and vitamins etc to a laboratory batch of mycobaterium can inhibit their growth. i used to struggle with how it could be that antibiotics (i know that many are anti-inflammatory) could help with my sons disease but so could drugs that down regulate his immune response, and the article below explains how.

the nice news is taking these specific vitamins shows promise. of course the dose is key. there are some human trials and anecdotal reports in the literature showing massive doses of vitamin D3 (not D2) helped patients who had antibiotic resistant tuberculosis. one anecdotal report had a patient 10 months into trying different groups of 4 and then 5 antibiotics without benefit, but then her doctor added 50,000 (fifty thousand) IU D3 capsules, one three times a week (150,000 a week) for two months and apparently that cured her. the D3 triggers the production of the human antibiotic cathelicidin, makes me wonder why they cant just make cathelicidin for us to take? (D2 doesn't work the same in humans as D3)

there are control drugs in this study too, like asacol, which needs our gut bacteria to split it and make it active, but that wasn't going to happen in this single strain "petri dish" experiment.

Unanticipated Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex culture inhibition by immune modulators, immune suppressants, a growth enhancer, and vitamins A and D: clinical implications

http://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(14)01434-9/fulltext