• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Why No Push For Supplements

I've been doing some research lately on antioxidant rich products, also called Bioflavanols that many people are finding very good at reducing the inflammation characteristic of Crohn's Disease along with many of the uncomfortable side effects. Funny how prescription drug products though effective in their own right, produce multiple disturbing side effects, potentially serious, yet insurance companies cover them and not the safer natural alternatives.

I hear that; maybe some better health plans allow flex spending/health accounts to cover supplements? Maybe once pharma companies can produce more synthetic versions, like GSK's Lovaza, and jack the price 10x compared to the un-FDA-approved version, insurance will cover SOME of the cost while footing you with a co-pay yet still higher than the supplement cost?

Pharma companies are less about helping alleviate diseases/symptoms (much less curing) and more about filling hundreds of corrupting middlemen with perpetual profit. They'd probably still manage to use deleterious GMOs or nanoexcipients or god knows what.

I've heard murmurs of a US version of Canada's Sativex being developed. If this turns out to be an actual spectrum of cannibinoids (mainly supernatural doses of CannaBiDiol) with significantly lower THC (sure this helps with appetite and some pain, but the potential for CBD seems much greater without the psychoeffects), this would be a boon as CBD is truly a superantioxidant if concentrated.

An enteric delivery of mega CBD doses, in my mind, may be our savior as IBD sufferers.