• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Will be starting Humira soon, advice?

Hi, I'm new to this disease and forum. Recently diagnosed with Crohn's colitis about 3 weeks ago. This disease came out of nowhere for me, healthy happy 33 year old with a family.

My question is, I've been going through a bad flare for the past 2 months (lost 30 pounds from 115 pounds, bad inflammation in colon but no infection. How soon will i start feeling the effects of Humira? This disease has gotten the best of me and I want to live life again...i have been unable to work but would love to go back soon.

I am also in healthcare and afraid of the side effects....immunosupressant. Should I be worried when I'm around very sick patients? I'm just ready to start this drug because I've heard good things about it. I really hope it helps my Crohn's

Will it hurt everytime I inject?

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds was dx at age 7 and started humira at age 9 after he reacted to remicade
He just switched from humira to Stelara
So 5 plus years of being in elementary school with kids with colds coughs etc....
He didn't get any extra colds

He was also on methotrexate at the same time.

Immunosuppressed doesn't mean more colds etc
Just opportunistic infections
So if you have the flu odds if pneumonia tagging along are pretty good

The only concern in health care would be tb
But humira requires screening for everyone on it
At least once a year

Humira takes 3-5 months to become effective
So you may ask about a bridge therapy (oral steriods or exclusive enteral nutrition (een formula only no food ) to get inflammation down quickly while you wait for humira to kick in

Een can simple be boost or ensure

Others need broken down formula like peptamen
And yet others need completely broken down to amino acid based (elemental formula ) like vionex

Een is done similar to steroids for 6-8 weeks
But no side effects

Humira does hurt every time
The citric acid causes it to burn
There is a new version coming soon to the US
Which doesn't burn
It is currently available in Europe

We added lidocaine to the humira syringe to decrease the burn
Ds Rheumatologist prescribed the lidocaine

Good luck

Hi, I'm new to this disease and forum. Recently diagnosed with Crohn's colitis about 3 weeks ago. This disease came out of nowhere for me, healthy happy 33 year old with a family.

My question is, I've been going through a bad flare for the past 2 months (lost 30 pounds from 115 pounds, bad inflammation in colon but no infection. How soon will i start feeling the effects of Humira? This disease has gotten the best of me and I want to live life again...i have been unable to work but would love to go back soon.

I am also in healthcare and afraid of the side effects....immunosupressant. Should I be worried when I'm around very sick patients? I'm just ready to start this drug because I've heard good things about it. I really hope it helps my Crohn's

Will it hurt everytime I inject?
Had almost no side effect except drier skin on Humira. Dont worry to be around sick people, except if it's tuberculosis but its very unlikely.
New humira pens dont hurt.. the old ones hurt a bit but its generally very manageable

Hi,

I use the syringe as the auto injector cause more pain upon application.
Also no side effects,

"Humira takes 3-5 months to become effective" I'd say it was about the same for me.

Good Luck
Rick