• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Will it ever improve without a diagnosis?

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, just trying to vent/get advice from people who know what it 's like to live with GI pain. Briefly, I have had GI issues my entire life but decided to just live with it. About 5 years ago my signs worsened enough to seek medical care and they started with the typical diagnostics- upper endoscopy as well as colonoscopy with biopsy. Of course all came back normal and I was told I likely had IBS, maybe Celiac's, to avoid gluten and to deal with it. My signs worsened slowly up until last year, where the pain, diarrhea, and general discomfort have completely destroyed my quality of life. I basically go to work, sit on the flood holding my abdomen, come back home, sit on the couch and continue holding my abdomen. I avoid eating as it makes the pain worse. I went to see a new gastroenterologist, they ran multiple stool tests (I am a veterinarian so exposed to many little parasites) and all were negative. Repeated colonoscopy with biopsies, and of course still normal. The doctor then accused me of wanting pain medications and called me an addict (I never actually asked for any medications at all). I went to see a third gastroenterologist and he ordered a CT which was of course normal.
I do have a family history of Crohn's - my uncle's diagnostics always came back normal for years on end. He was not diagnosed until he was in such severe agony that an abdominal exploratory surgery was performed and he required an aggressive bowel resection.
I have tried dicyclomine (bentyl), Rifaximin (Xifaxan), Eluxadoline (Viberzi) with no effect.
My new doc prescribed Xanax to help with pain- all it does is place me in a mental trance.
I have spent the last month confined to my couch and my bathroom. I am miserable and just want to give up on everything. I am weak from the lack of nutrition and emotionally exhausted.
Thanks for reading... any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I am sorry for all you have been through. Come in here as often as you like. You said you were weak from the lack of nutrition. Have you been to either a dietitian or a nutrition to help with this? Keep pushing with the docty until you get some definite answers. Best to you

Thanks for your response. I have seen two nutritionists already. The problem is I have a very hard time forcing myself to eat as every meal causes pain.

I don't really have anything helpful, as far as helping with a diagnosis, but, I do want to let you know you are not alone. I have been diagnosised for a couple of years now and had to get a new GI. My new GI took a look at all the notes on my chart and decided my diagnosis was "inconclusive" so, I have to go through the process of diagnosis again with him. I got a pill cam done, it came back with ulcers in my small intestines and now have to get some blood tests done. Luckily, he has let me continue my treatment for Crohn's since it is working. I think he is finally coming around to reach a Crohn's diagnosis but, he still has my chart labeled as "possible Crohn's". I guess what I am trying to say is, even those of us that get a diagnosis can have it taken away just like that. Crohn's Disease is known as "the great masquerader" due to being so hard to diagnosis. Basically, colonoscopies CAN diagnosis it or MAYBE a blood test. The point is, nothing it 100%. It can take years to get a diagnosis because of this. I have ulcers in a part of my small intestines that the pill cam is the only thing that could reach them. I have had these issues for 10 years and this last month was the first time a pill cam was done and saw them.

I would try to find a doctor that would be willing to try treatment, even without a firm diagnosis. My last doctor was willing to start treatment with just one ulcer showing on my colonoscopy. Treatment worked for me and she went with it, stating that was a good indication that the ulcer was from Crohn's Disease. Hang in there, it gets better. We are here for you! Most of us have had similar experiences trying to get a diagnosis and treatment.
:ghug::hug::poo::dusty:

Thank you so much for your support! I was actually able to talk my GI into letting me do a trial on prednisone. 48 hr later I am absolutely pain free. I was even able to go on a short run and go through a day at work without worrying about GI distress. My GI wanted me to pursue the capsule endoscopy, only problem was it would not be scheduled for another week. This would effectively re-set my deductible and mean another $2600 down the drain. He said he would be surprised if any lesions were found anyway.
I saw you are from Oregon! We lived in Corvallis for 9 years and moved down to AZ about 3 years ago. Definitely miss the Portland atmosphere!!

GIs really want that "solid tissue diagnosis", before committing to a diagnosis of crohn's, which can be really hard depending on the disease's location. When my hemoglobin went down to 9 and a bone marrow biopsy showed no iron in my body my GI did an endoscopy (I'd already been diagnosed with celiac disease) and found severe ulceration and a stricture in my duodenum. He told me I might have crohn's and treated me with a heavy dose of PPIs. I responded well and three months later my scope was clear. Fast forward 9 years and I was hospitalized for a week with a partial obstruction and inflammation in my jejunum and ileum. In between I'd had clear capsule endoscopies, regular endoscopies, and colonoscopies. He put me on Entocort but just last spring I was hospitalized again for a partial obstruction and inflammation at the end of my duodenum and beginning of my ileum. At that point he began telling me I had crohn's and switched me to 6MP. I couldn't tolerate the 6MP (pancreatitis), so am now back on Entocort. A CT scan in October showed narrowing and inflammation in my terminal ileum; the inflammation clearly loves to travel in my small intestine. I'm having trouble tolerating the Entocort this time (migraines), so I'll be going back to see him to discuss Humira.

The point of my ridiculously long story is that crohn's is tough to pin down: it changes locations, and presents differently in different people. Some have elevated CRP and ESR, some don't; some have biopsies which show granulomas and some don't. One of the most frustrating aspects for me is that I respond really quickly to systemic steroids, so scopes done within a few months of aggressive steroid treatment (60 mg of solumedrol then oral prednisone) show no disease. Then I slowly slide downhill and the whole cycle starts all over again. Keep pursuing a diagnosis and treatment and don't despair, even though it's hard not to.

Just wanted to let you guys know- after 5 years of playing the "maybe IBS maybe IBD but it's easier to tell you to take probiotics and call it a day" I finally got diagnosed with CD! Amazing what a little steroids can do to improve one's quality of life.
Thanks for your support!!!

im glad you are getting an answer and finally get some help. How was the diagnosis made? what other test did you do?
My last test was a contrast enterography which was pretty unremarkable. Thankfully my dr approved a short term course of steroids as a way to completely rule in/out CD. 48 hrs after the first dose all my symptoms subsided. I was very vocal with him in regards to trying steroids (since my uncle went through all the testing and was always negative- only to be diagnosed during an emergency laparotomy which required bowel resection). He suspects my CD mostly is affecting the terminal duodenum and disseminated throughout the jejunum, and mostly affecting the muscularis laters versus the musocsal layers of the intestine.