• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Wishing for an answer

My name is Dawn. I had a serious neck injury in 2008 and hemorrhoid surgery too. After those, I was never the same. Had rectal bleeding that internist said was more hemorrhoids. Sent me to GI. At 44, had my first colonoscopy. Had 16 insignificant polyps and "active chronic ileitis with ulceration and regeneration." That same doctor did two treatment for the roids but still bleeding. Upon rectal exam, he gently swiped a q-tip on the rectal lining and it bled. He said that i might have crohns. My bowels have been mostly normal with no running to the bathroom. Maybe one bm a day. Sometimes d. Some times constipation. Some times normal. Went back to internist who said that because i have inflammation in two separate areas, it is crohns. Went to see Dr.Melmed at Cedar Sinai in LA. He said that the inflammation could be from ibuprofen. Want another colonoscopy and endoscopy just 4 months after the other to try and figure things out. I am 25 lbs over weight - not malnourished at all. Can anyone tell me if this seems like crohns? I am type a personality, and don't like the waiting to find out. I am also a chef which makes the diagnosis so much worse as food is my life professionally and personally. Yes to bloating. Also have fibromyalgia and neuropathy after neck surgery. Some say this could have been crohns all along. Any advise is appreciated. Chef Dawn

Hi mate, basically from the colonoscopy and other tests they should solidify the diagnosis as crohns can be any part of your digestive track that's what makes it different from UC. I was misdiagnosed with having hemorrhoids until I had my colonoscopy, I also find that ibuprofen makes my stomach pains ALOT worse so I tend to not take it at all maybe it could be the same with you..

As for the bowel movements they obviously differentiate from the food that you eat some will trigger bowel movements more than others, you seem fairly normal. I'm not sure what to suggest other than the options you've already explored. If you have inflammation in the bowel then the DR has to treat you for that, whether it be have an MRI scan to see how much inflammation there is as well as the colonoscopy to take the samples and await the test results, blood tests etc.

I'd keep at the DR for a diagnosis, there's nothing worse than not being diagnosed and to keep on guessing.

Thank you for your post. It is a difficult time. I am hoping with the next colonoscopy they can rule it Crohns or not so I can on with things. Thanks again! Dawn

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello! welcome to the forum

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having these issues but you have definitely come to the right place for support and advice.

If biopsies are taken during the colonoscopy then they can be examined under a microscope to look at the inflammation patterns and help the doctors to determine the cause of the issues you are currently having.

It might be that the inflammation is not reachable by colonoscopy, if this happens then it might be possible for you to have something called a capsule endoscopy. During this test, you swallow a small camera contained in a pill which also has its own light source. Images are sent to a transmitter worn around your waist. The benefit of this test is that it can view places that cannot be viewed by scope. The drawback is that biopsies cannot be taken this way. If there is a suspicion that you have narrowings in your bowel then make sure you ask to try a dummy pill first. A dummy pill is a capsule the same size as the real thing which will allow the doctor to make sure it wont get stuck. If the dummy pill passes through then so will the pill cam. If the dummy pill gets stuck then it will just dissolve harmlessly and you will know you can't use the pill cam.