• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Withdrawal symptoms from steroids but still on 10mg?

Hi,

First post on here..its take me a while to get my finger out. Anyway ive been tapering off pred for about 2 months. I just started to go down to 10 mg and suddenly im getting very severe flu like symptoms!! How can this be when im still taking steroids? Ive just started taking 6-MP but its only 4 days so it cant be them surely. I dont know what to do as the symptoms are horrible. Terrible shakes and fever aswell as nausea and joint pain. Should i go back up to 15mg? or wait it out? How long does it take usually?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi there

It could actually either or a bit of both. 6mp can cause flu like symptoms during the early stages of taking it. Usually this passes within the first few weeks so if you can wait it out then it could work out better in the long run.

It's also common for people to feel their symptoms returning when they taper Pred. The best thing to do is to speak to your medical team, don't lower or raise anything without their advice.