• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Withdrawal Symptoms?

As I have seen several posts on Amitriptyline I figured it would be okay to post this.

I've been on the drug for 4 years now, for the majority of the time at 10mg a day.

I had my last one on Wednesday as GI said to stop- yes I clarified and I was told I could stop right away (for the kind of GI he is, see signature).

I wanted a few pill free days before starting on my new meds, which happens today.

I've had a really nasty headache since last night, it is a stressful and tiring time with other matters for me right now, I felt very sick last night too, which isn't unusual.

But the headache hasn't gone this morning which is really unusual, I had 10 hours sleep!

Both headache and nausea are listed in the leaflet as withdrawal symptoms.

If this is withdrawal how long until it goes away?

The good news is no increase in Gastro symptoms, a few years ago when I tried to come off (supervised) as soon as I went to one every other day symptoms came rushing back!

Last edited:
Can you wean yourself off instead. Take 1/2 doses for a week, and 1/4 the next, and then 1/4 every other day for a few days and then stop. Tapering might make it easier.