• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Withdrawal symptoms

Hi

I was diogonosed with crohns disease about 23 years ago and was on azathioprine for 20yrs uptill 3 weeks ago when I had to ask my GP for a hospital appointment as the hospital discharged me 5 yrs ago while I was still taking azathioprine, I was feeling a a lump moving in my lower stomach, turns out I have a large cyst on my ovarie, the consultant told me I had to come of azathioprine because it can cause skin cancer and internal cancers and the maximum amount of time to be on that drug is 6 yrs. I felt sick to the core I was still being prescribed the drug especially after having a skin cancer removed on my face 3 yrs ago. I asked what else I can take and was told 'nothing' I need to see if it flares up and they will do tests. I am so scared it will start all over again, my large bowl had abscess's all through it and my back passage was also full of them. Since I came of the drug 3 weeks ago I am feeling so tired, I keep falling asleep at work. 4 days ago I was told I have a skin cancer on my arm which is nothing to worry about and they froze it there and then. Im worried I will get more of them now.
Has anyone else felt tired after stopping azathioprine and developed skin cancers?

I have been on it for several years. I hope you can find some answers and get help. We have a section in here called Treatment. Under that we have a subsection for people who take Aza. They can probably help you out. Wishing you the best. I am sorry for what you are going through.

David

Co-Founder
"Nothing" is not a correct answer. I'd get a second opinion regarding methotrexate, various mesalamine formulations, and I would strongly suggest researching enteral nutrition and medical marijuana.

I have had to prove a few times to my drs that indeed i have CD.
What a joke that is- I have now been in a flare up for 6 yrs, I think!?!

Sorry your going through this, the anxiety it creates waiting for the storm to
it. I like Davids advice!

Lauren