• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Women Only Please - Itching with Fistulas?

Anybody have been treated for multiple fistulas and infected abscesses, some in the glands on each side of the vagina?
I'm 64 now and have had multiple surgeries to anus, rectum, glands since the age of 20, I am very prone to infections, like bladder infections and also prone to cysts in the uterus and other places.

I understand with aging and multiple abdominal operations and removal of rectum and anus, there is a lot of scar tissue there as well as a weakening of the pelvic wall muscle that holds it all.

I also have a lot of food allergies, sores in my mouth because of it or the Crohn's. How can you tell the difference?

I have believed for a while that since last surgery in 1992 there is a fistula network around my x-anus and vaginal opening which is still there. There is a daily deep in the tissue on the left side of vag spot which tickles and drives me nuts. If I rub or scratch it helps but, does not do anything to cure the problem. I have to use a heavy zinc oxide cream to keep the skin from becoming raw and sore.

I know this sounds weird. Just one more thing to deal with. Wondering if any other woman with fistulas has these issues?

thank you.
Marie

Hi Marie. Like you I too have Crohns, allergies and sores. I also currently have two recto-vaginal fistulae that itch and burn and swell from too much wiping. I am a colon cancer survivor, and have had my entire colon removed and much of my small intestines used for two different j/pouch surgeries. My most recent hospital visit was at the Cleveland Clinic, but they were unable to repair the fistulae. That was last August 2015. I have had nine surgeries since 2000. I am 56 years old.
My most recent thrilling discovery, is to use a water pic to clean myself thoroughly after any leakage.I keep it right by the toilet, filled with warm water. After the water pic, I pat dry gently. Of course, it is not something I can use when I'm out, but it's made a huge difference for me as far as the pain and itchiness goes. My gastroenterologist told me that the doctor's used to use water pics for many uses in the army.
Anyway, I hope this helps you.