• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Work and crohns

My question is when you go for an interview for a job how to tell them you have crohns and you need to be at hosp twice a month? The problem is they do not seem to understand and the fact that this disease has a impact in my everyday life. The crohns , the gerd, the depression and so i could go on. Its like you cant live a normal life and find a job that can understand its all so depressing. How do you tell them about visits to docs and disease?

I wouldn't tell them until I was hired actually.. It's not really any business of theirs. If it's a full time job then it might be a little more difficult being at the dr, but you also get pto I would guess, doesn't matter what you're doing on those days.. So imo it's not my jobs business what I do with my days off. As long as I'm doing my job to the best of my ability.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi according to disability rights. You do not have to disclose any illness or disability at interview stage. If you are offered an uncondictional job offer you need not to tell them then either. It maybe wise to inform them that you may need time off for appointments etc,at this point. If they then recind the offer they are going against disability rights and you could take action against them for discrimation.If there are any condictions in the offer re health or ability to do the job then thats when you should say . google disability rights for which ever country you are in. I think i got the jist of it in my post but of course you should check it out in more detail as it may vary country to country ..best wishes 💕

fuzzy butterfly

Also i got a new job last september. I was asked about my health.. which really they shouldnt have done btw. I decided to be up front n il told them i had crohns, i had had surgery twice in 12mths but was now feeling great and raring to go and challange myself in a new career. That i have routine appointments and may need time out for those but will try and get them on my days off or swap my day off if poss. Fortunately they saw my potential and not my issues. Hope you can find good and understanding employers too. 💕

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I agree with Mandy, having an understanding employer means everything. I'm very fortunate that my boss (and everyone in my department, actually) also has health problems and is also at the doctor fairly regularly. It just happened to work out that way. I even have a co-worker who has UC. Chronic illnesses in the workplace are more common than you'd think - most people don't talk about them, but it turns out a lot of people have them. Just the other week, I mentioned my IBD to a co-worker, and she told me that her brother died from UC complications and she gave me a big hug. My workplace is surprisingly understanding! So I really hope you can find a similarly understanding workplace.

fuzzy butterfly

Im glad yours are understanding too. It really does help us when we dont have to worry as much if we are not well.When i was at my old job Cat at one point there were 4 of us with crohns ..not that that employer was that understaning. I think that employers should go on some kind of course to help them understand their employees illness's. In an ideal world that would be the case.. maybe one day eh ? 💕💕

Im glad yours are understanding too. It really does help us when we dont have to worry as much if we are not well.When i was at my old job Cat at one point there were 4 of us with crohns ..not that that employer was that understaning. I think that employers should go on some kind of course to help them understand their employees illness's. In an ideal world that would be the case.. maybe one day eh ? 💕💕
I wonder if I could have avoided some issues if my boss had been educated.

fuzzy butterfly

Maybe Ron maybe. I really do think it would help us with chronic illness,if they were much more informed. I know if i were an employer i would be making sure i knew all i could,about any employee who was ill. So i would know what it was like for them (as much as anyone can without having it),so i could be as helpful and supportive as possible.. 💕

My boss is pretty good. There are only 3 in my dept. So It's hard bc I take call a lot. Well I refuse to call them in if I'm feeling ill so I've become the master of just toughing it out. Usually when you're called in the adrenaline is pumping so much anyway, so I don't feel anything until I get home. When my boss gets kind of weird about things we have a sit down and talk. And that seems to help. Just letting her know where I'm at and make her realize I'm doing all the tasks assigned to me. I think it's hard on her when I'm not my bubbly talky self. Bc lets be honest, when you're sick at work its the last place you want to be haha.

Thanks allot i just try to be honest to tell them that i do have appointments during the month so that later on there could be no stories , i had allot of issues before for being sick etc. I just wish that they could understand. I never take off from work just for this disease. I also wish they could understand that i did not ask for any of this