• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Work=Crohn's flare

I just spend four months off work, getting myself in remission and healthy. I took medical leave and unemployment time to do this. I was able to taper off the prednisone, and stay stable. I continued to get healthy and drop medicines one by one until I was completely off of prescription drugs. With the help of essential oils, I got rid of that toxic feeling from being on so many harsh drugs. I was feeling great. Had normal stools. I was eating fresh vegetables and home cooked beans, with no pain, I might add! I felt like a miracle. Then, I knew I needed to start working so I wouldn't run out of money.

Now, I'm sick. Back to the same old running to the barroom like crazy. Pain is through the roof. Today marks my 90 days at the company. After a short test next week, they will offer me a contract. I don't think I can take it. I slowly added hours to my week during this training period to ease myself back into the routine of working, but my body just can't take full time job. I don't even think I can handle part time work. I feel terrible. I feel like I've let everyone down- my trainer, the company, my parents, those who helped me get my Master's degree, etc.

I don't know what to do. Where do I go from here. My doctor doesn't believe in Disability, and she says I especially won't get it because I'm a "healthy" weight and am currently "working." She doesn't care that 11+ hours of sleep are needed when I get like this. The fact that I have no life outside of work and chores doesn't seem to matter. I don't even know how to talk to my boss about this, as we've only met once because she is in a different city.

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. Your doctor doesn't believe in disability because of your weight?? I would find a new doctor! I've gained 60+ lbs over the last year due to steroids (and antidepressants due to depression from the disease), and my doctor immediately put me on disability from work when I started my current flare. Weight should not be an issue. I highly suggest a second opinion. I hope things start to settle down soon *hug*

Hi Mondowicked. I'm not sure what type of company you work for, but is flex-scheduling an option? A lot of (big) companies offer some sort of flex-scheduling now, to be competitive in the market. Is there someone you could talk to about that? For example, I work from home one day a week, and I know other people, depending on the team, that work from home 3 days a week...some that even work remotely and only show up in the office once a month or so. I usually plan my day in advance, but if I'm not feeling well, I sometimes change my day the morning of so I can stay home and work from bed. (Of course, this isn't 100%, but it's a nice option.)

I would also talk with someone in HR about FMLA. I'm pretty new to Crohn's, so haven't gone through all the paperwork yet, so I'm not sure what is involved, but FMLA should protect your job if you're unable to work due to a diagnosed condition. So even if your doctor doesn't believe in disability, it might not matter. FMLA doesn't cover your pay, but it does ensure that you have an equalivalent job to come back to if you have to be out for awhile. You could also ask about your company's short-term disability policy, which may enable you to have more paid sick leave. This varies by company, and some would require a doctor's sign-off, so that might not be an option with your current doctor. My plan is to get my diagnosis on-the-record, that way I don't have to worry about going through all of that if I get really sick.

If you're nervous about talking with your boss, I would suggest speaking with HR first. I've been lucky that my bosses have been pretty understanding, having me out for 4 weeks after my surprise appendectomy/resection and accomodating my absences for doctor's visits when I was in the process of being diagnosed. I've been able to be very upfront with them.

I also agree with what stelarjess said -- you might want to consider finding a different doctor.

I feel so bad for you. The company I worked for while I was being diagnosed were so horrible to me. I'd had 4 weeks off work in so much pain and spent a week in hospital and they knew full well what was going on but they tried to fire me.

Eventually I ended up leaving but I've been lucky in finding employers who have been understanding. Can you not speak to them about it all and see what they can do to help? I know in the UK your employer has to work with you to find a solution to keeping you in work. I really hope you feel better and can work something out xxx