• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worried about my girl

worried about my girl

Hello my fellow chronies! I hope you all are coping well and finding joy in life! Things with me are pretty smooth other than a mild flair that came with the fall pollen season but it seems to be fading.

Anyway my daughter is kind of gassy a lot of the time and every once in a while says her tummy hurts. Last night we went to a fast food joint and my daughter after ordering says she can't eat cause her tummy hurts.

I'm just so worried she has, or will get this disease and every time she has some tummy issue I fear for the worse. It does not happen a lot but I still worry. So for those who have kids with this can you tell me what I should be looking for, would it be smart to have her looked at? I'd hate for her to have a colonoscopy at 6 years of age for no reason other than her Dad is worried. lol!

Thanks!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I think a good general rule of thumb would be to do regular doctor visits (that's usually a yearly check up) and if there is any symptom that doesn't go away or seems bothersome to your child in any way be it tired all the time or in pain far too often, then get it checked out by the doctor. Crohns's in children really isn't different from Crohn's in adults. I had Crohn's as a kid and my symptoms weren't much different from what other people on here mentioned. I was sick all the time and eventually started bleeding. I think if you have kids the best thing you can do is to get your child to talk about their symptoms or to mention them more often because sometimes kids don't give out information freely. If she is sick, at least she has you there looking out for her and she'll be alight. ;)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey stinky, :bigwave:

Wow this is really hard for you coming from the angle of sufferer yourself, god knows I worry enough but how could you not be hyper-vigilant!

I agree with Crabby, the symptoms you would be looking for would be much the same and it's a very good point about talking with her. I think the first thing I would do would be to start a diary, have you seen the outline in the wiki?? If not here is the link..............

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Diary-Inclusions

As a parent it isn't hard to over think things and if you put things down in black and white it is easier to track symptoms and find if patterns are emerging or at the very least you have an accurate record of events for yourself and your doctor. If this only happens occasionally I probably wouldn't go to the doctor just yet but as I say track what's going on and you will most likely find if you have something to truly worry about and take further.

I hope more than anything all turns out well for your little girl stinky.

Thinking of you, :hug:
Dusty

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hey Scott, it's good to hear from you but I hate the reason!! EJ had "sensitive stomach" issues for years before he started having bloody d that wouldn't go away. IBD was never even mentioned to us by his ped. until that. Maybe, with your obvious family history, the docs will be more willing to investigate the possibility of IBD. I hope she doesn't have it but I'd rather know for sure than be in denial. The best to you and her old friend!!

My oldest son has Crohn's, and I worry about my other 2 boys also getting it, they are both lactose intolerant, and my 6 year old also complained about a sore tummy every once in a while. Hard not to worry about it. I started both my other boys on probiotics and regular Vitamin D, we already eat mainly SCD, so their complex carbs are already more limited than most kids.
I know I can't control if they will get it or not, but at least now if it does happen I can look back and say I was as proactive as possible.
The probiotics made my 6 year old pretty gassy at first, but now - nothing, and it's been a long time since he's complained about his tummy. He also eats more now.
Just my experience - good luck with your daughter, I hope nothing develops for her.

Astra

Big Hello Scott!

sorry can't help, don't know what to suggest, but hope it's ok with her, and nothing too serious.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

(anyone else noticed lots of peeps coming back today!!)

ameslouise

Hi Scott!

I hear ya. As parents, we always worry about our kids. As patients, we worry about passing along "the gene."

My sons has been complaining that his "belly hurts" for the better part of about three months now... I think it's time to look into it. I agree that a colonoscopy just to see what's going on might be a bit reactionary.

Couldn't hurt to at least start the process of seeing if there's anything weird going on.

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be nothing but a very cautious and loving father worrying about his daughter!

Take care - Amy

Thanks for all the messages guys! I've missed hanging out here, but work has me so busy. Pretty much what I expected to hear, just sort of watch her and see where it goes. I love the idea of putting her on a better diet, I'll have to work on that.

well take care friends, I may not have posted here much lately but you guys are always in my thoughts.

I personally dont beleive we have to be a slave to our genes. With my daughter I do the best I can to make sure she has a healthy gut. Everyday she gets the following; 1 chewable probiotic, 1000 mg flavored fish oil chew, 1000 IU vitamin D, and 1 multivitamin. I also dont do NSAIDs with her and I dont give her antibiotics unless absolutely neccessary. In other words, I let her fight the infection herself when possible. She had an ear infection the other week and it healed on its own. She did have a bladder infection once, that I gave her antibiotics for and I gave her lots of probiotics between doses, and 3 times a day for 2 weeks after. We eat a whole foods diet, with little take out. I also breastfed her for 2 years, to ensure she has the best start for her immune system and gut.

So, while I do worry sometimes, especially since she has constipation issues (which are really common in small children and the gas a bloating do cause my daughter to complain her tummy hurts too) I feel confident I have given her the best start possible in avoiding this disease.

I really believe an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Last edited:

Dallies

Dragonfly
I'm sorry I missed this thread. How are things?? After Meg's appendicectomy, pain continued and if was her blood tests that said her white cells were very high. Inflammitory markers in her blood led to colonoscopys etc.....

Thinking of you all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Scott no advice that the others haven't already said, just high hopes & warm wishes that your youngin is ok.

My nearly 16 year old daughter asked me the other day if what I had was genetic and I got a shiver down my spine. She has been quite unwell this year with tummy problems and she seems to get an upset stomach after dairy type foods - so will monitor it closely and see how it goes. She had blood tests etc earlier in the year just to check for coeliac's and all that was ok...but we'll see. It must be on her mind to be thinking about it and asking about it...I hope she doesn't get this disease!! It would be terrible.

Hi,

My son is now 13 years old and has lived with me having crohn's all his life (basically). A couple of years ago my son learned that I am paranoid when it comes to stomach issues with him. He started faking stomach aches when he didn't want to go to school!!

I got so worried!! We went to the doctor (we have the same primary doc) who told me that weight loss will be a primary marker for crohns along with generally feeling bad for more than a few days (all the same symptoms I have when starting a flare up). He then told my son that if his "stomach aches" continue we will have to do testing. My son has been around while I did a colonoscopy prep... guess what, the fake stomach aches stopped!!

When in doubt we go to the doctor just to be sure. It makes my life easier knowing Aaron has been checked and the doctor does not feel testing is needed. It might help you deal with the anxiety of worrying about your daughter and may help you avoid the I don't want to go to school stomach issues. I hope this helped some I truly understand where you are coming from!

Nica,

Thank you for sharing your story on that! It is really helpful to know what to look for. She's been fine as far as her tummy goes lately, which is good. I just thought about this...when she gets to be older and has those monthly "aunt Betty" visits, there may be a lot of cramping type pain that I'll have to be able to accept without thinking she has CD.

Oh yes you will... I am glad I have a son just thinking about that!! But, truly crohn's pain is more like childbirth than those pains imo....

Think about your first flare up, weight loss, no energy, can't eat ( I don't remember pain at first but I assume it was there!) and watch for those signs. And they don't go away within a week get to the doctor.

It is really hard to look at your child and wonder " did I give this to him/her" I think it is one of my worst fears for my son to get crohn's. My husbands mother has RA, so my son has a good shot at something auto-immune.

I don't know if they offer it in your area but I got my son in a youth caregivers program in school. He isn't my caregiver but he has to deal with the fact mom has severe crohn's. Being with other kids who deal with a sick parent has really helped him deal with it. I know Aaron gets a lot of emotions over my illness, I try to not let it effect him but I know it does. You might want to look into something like that for your daughter.