• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worried about my half-obstruction

About me:

I was diagnosed one and a half month ago with the only symptom of half-obstruction in my intestine. The med now is pred 20mg/d(tapered down from 40mg), pentasa 4g/d and Imuran 100mg/d(the 2nd week). Now my CRP is closed to normal, however, my symptom is still there.

My question:

1. My nutrition is part from IV, part from oral EN. Because of my obstruction, I can only drink 1000ml EN per day, which is about 1000 calories, and it's not enough for me to going home without IV. So, if I use a Nasogastric tube, could I tolerate 2000ml EN per day?

2. The symptoms of obstruction are borborygmus and bumps of intestine. There are more than 3-4 locations on my tummy where could show bumps of intestine, is it means that there are 3-4 strictures in my intestine? That's terrific!

3. Is there any one with obstruction symptom getting into remission just with aza or pred or 5-asa, without Remicade or surgery?

Thanks very much!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
It depends on if these "bumps" (did a doctor tell you that? Did they do a test and the tech said "bumps?" Someone needs to be fired) are inflammation or scar tissue or some other thing that can be classified as a "bump." If its inflammation than the meds (at least the Pred) should help. If its all scar tissue then no medication is going to help cause unfortunately its damaged and can only be stretched (if the areas are small enough but its not a permanent fix), given a strictureplasty (again if the areas are small enough), or be removed entirely which will be difficult since there are multiple areas and you really don't want more than one resection site to avoid further complications in the future.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I see you've requested more information. Dunno what more to say really other than to help bump your thread. Any update on how you're doing?