• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worried about son

My son was diagnose with crohn's disease I April.I am having trouble with his high school. They think he is faking his symptoms but I have sent a letter from his doctor stating that he has this disease. Should I just let him quit school. Since he can't make a full week. Also the people in the office is very rude to him. I feel like he doesn't need that.

Have you met with the administration at his school? Maybe they are just in informed and have an issue with kids in the school 'faking it'. Don't let him quit. I'm sorry you are getting so little support. Meet with the principal, etc. If you aren't satisfied take it higher to the superintendent or board. MLP is right. By law they have to deal with this. Some of us have had great experiences with schools, some not so much. Ask questions in the parents forum and I'm sure one of us will have a suggestion or three!

I would also suggest having your doctor have a very firm and frank discussion with the school administration.

I don't treat IBD, but I have spoken to employers about my patients' various conditions and reminded them not only about the clinical aspects, but of the legal issues than can come about not making reasonable accommodations for illness. I imagine a school would change their tune after a talk like this.

M.D.

Its brutal that the school
would be that incensitive. Its a dissability they need to accomodate. Today IBS and Crohns is all over the TV. People are starting to understand this is a very serious illness.

Dont put up with schools incensitive actions. Im sure there are other students with health issues which have to be accomodated so dont allow ur son to be singled out.

Everone here has great advice. Take it to the school board. Stand up for what u know is right!

I won't add anything else to the discussion except fully supporting what poeple already said. Take it to the Board. Let them feel shamed! How can they be so insensitive and so ignorant. My God! Best of luck and God Bless Ann.

Hi there, As a 26 year old who was diagnosed at 13...primal teenage-highschool years. I know exactly what you're son is going through. Most people I've know with this illness, including myself have indeed missed school. Like it is almost impossible to function, or pay attention. Especially while suffering, that you nor the teachers, students could ever comprehend. With that being said my parents were harder on me, mostly my mother. I rarely missed school. If ever. However, I had great relationships with my teachers and they were understanding of my illness. They would let me go to the bathroom without asking...or sometimes I'd just have to leave and never come back. Honestly, it's so tough to try to go to school and deal with this illness. He most certainly isn't faking, but crohn's can be strange...I could be laughing one minute, then flaring in excruciating pain.

Now as an adult I still feel alone. I don't blame anyone, it's just no one can fully understand unless they are going through it.

I'd say just to have communication with your son, and his teachers. If he's sick he's sick, if he misses school he misses school. There are always lots of resources for education, he can always re-take classes or what have you. His health needs to be number one, and everyone in his life should be on board as support. If his school won't get on board maybe educate their ignorance.