• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worried and Confused Girlfriend. Information Please?

Hi everyone, I know this site is for those with crohn's or ulcerative colitis or IBD but I don't expect my boyfriend to get the information himself and I want to know enough to help him out and understand his condition a bit more.
He was diagnosed 3-4 years ago and has been without insurance until this month. Light flare ups along the way but Tuesday he was admitted to the ER with a golf ball sized abscess in his lower intestine where it connects to the large intestine. So here are a few things I'd love to know more about:

1. We started green juicing in mornings, are those still ok because there's less fiber? (even with all the natural sugars)

2. He's not a skinny boy, in fact he's heavier than most people we've met with crohn's. Is there a way to intentionally lose weight with crohn's? He's tried dieting and exercise but maybe the wrong ones?

3. He's been prescribed with prednisone and mesalamine. How long is an average period of time to be on these drugs?

Any and all answers would be extremely appreciated

nogutsnoglory

This forum is open to all who struggle directly or indirectly with this illness or who question whether they may have it. Please feel welcome and know I certainly admire you for being a great girlfriend in coming here to support your boyfriend.

Green juices are a great way at nutrition without aggravating inflamed tissue. Start slow because it may increase his diarrhea.

You are right that IBD is often associated with being skinny and malnourished. I can't speak to weight loss because I don't know what he eats.

Prednisone is supposed to be used temporarily (weeks or months) to heal acute disease but Mesalamine can be long term treatment.

Thank you I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. They've decided on meslamine as his long term so we're going to try to get that taken care of soon and he should be discharged today some time without the follow up cat-scan. I'll try diluting his juices for now and straining them to ensure least fiber possible. Thanks for your help!