• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worried - Undergoing Tests for Crohns

I can imagine everyone here remembers the worry when Crohns was first mentioned to them.
I have recently been discharged from a weeks stay in hospital, which began with suspected Appendicitis. Appendix was found to be find during Op but my cecum was inflamed. After 3 courses of antibiotics my pains have gone and I've been advised to follow a low residue, low fibre and low fat diet.

Colonoscopy is planned for next week, I'm nervous and worried. I'm a young mum with 3 young children, 2 year old twins and a 1 year old, so life is busy!

Unsure if there is any relation, but I had my gall bladder removed just 6 months ago due to gall stone pancreatitis.

Any advise for what to expect over the coming weeks if Crohns is diagnosed?
Also, any energy advice? I'm lacking all get up and go.

Welcome!

If you do have Crohns there is not guaranteed path but most doctors follow a step up approach. Start with the mildest possible meds (usually Asa drugs like pentasa, Lialda) the move up to imunnosupressents (Imuran and methotrexate) then biologics if needed ( remicade and humira). These are all maintenence meds you would keep take forever. There is also steroids ( like prednisone) that your doctor may put you on to push you into remission.

Energy wise have you had bloodwork done to see if your hemoglobin is low? That can cause low energy and fatigue and if it is you can take iron pills. Likewise with B12. Other than that I would say just try to relax until you know. It could end up as nothing

Best wishes!

Thanks FrozenGirl,

I had bloods done during stay in hospital, but never told what they were for or any results. Only thing mentioned to me from bloods was that I was showing very high infection.

Reading other peoples story's I don't feel I follow typical symptoms, hoping that's a good sign. However, hospital doctors have mentioned it's likely to be and now seen a private consultant who is suspecting the same.

So from the meds side of things, if diagnosed with crohns will I have to take some kind of drug everyday or can crohns be self managed through diet?

Appreciate the support, finding it hard to switch off with the impending colonoscopy.

Most people have to take a maintience med forever. There are some people who believe it can be managed by diet, if you are interested in that check out our diet forum.