• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worst Flare Ever

Hello,

I found this forum in Sept when my Crohn's first flared up seeking help. After that thread I was admitted into the hospital and stayed for about a week. Nothing changed. And since it was a teaching hospital I felt I was just poked and prodded with no relief. I was given prednisone via IV, Flagyl, potassium, antibiotics, and more. I also received a 3mg remicade infusion. During a colonoscopy, a stricture (my first in the 10 yrs I've had CD) was found 15 cm up from my rectum and they couldn't continue. They advised for me to have a bowel resection surgery...

I was starting a really good job around this time and against docs advice, discharged. I only lasted two days out the hospital (couldn't keep food down, feet were SWOLLEN, Blood in stool, D multiple times a day, PAIN, etc). I begged my job if there was anything they could do for me, and they offered for me to start instead at a later date...

The next day I went right back to the same ER was admitted once again. They did another colonoscopy and saw that the stricture was gone (maybe remicade?) and they were able to go further, but not too much, since they didn't put me "out" all the way and I kept screaming and crying on the table in pain, so the doc was afraid to continue on. I then had barium scans done as well. At this point, surgery was not needed. I continued with the IV steroids, flagyl and was given remicade once again. I was discharged by docs after 2 wks. At that point I would only have D once a day, so I guess they assumed I was better, but I think the pain meds I received (dilauded) kept me constipated a bit. Then the energy. It was horrible. This time I was so weak I couldn't even hold my head up. Even talking was exhausting. My family would come to visit me and I would NEVER respond to them because speaking a full sentence took everything out of me. That was the most terrifying. And it's really sad, but I really thought I was going to die. I've NEVER had a flare this bad ever. The stricture, unable to eat, unable to drink, the length of the flare, the laying in bed like a zombie. And now I think I have anxiety because I'm still haunted by those thoughts I had in the hospital, PLUS I'm still flaring...

I'm now at home and I'm not sure if things are better. I can eat and drink now and keep everything down. I'm tapering down the prednisone. But I still don't feel better or that I'm improving much. My pain in constant. I've always been told that my CD is located on my left lower side, but I've been having pain on my lower right side. My stomach feels like it's constantly burning...like a dull achy pain...sometimes stabbing. It even feels like my stomach has a heartbeat...maybe the pain is making it pulsate? I've also had a hard time with bloating. My stomach is tight, large and feels like I can't breathe. I'm not sure if it's gas, but if so, my body doesn't seem to want to pass any. For the past couple of days however, I've been passing solid stool. In the morning, i have sharp horrible pains, then first I have some D, then solid stool. And while trying to use the bathroom, I get these sharp stabbing pains along my stomach. There's also still a lot of blood in my stool.

I'm confused because in the past once my stool is formed, I know that my flare has left. This isn't the case this time. I've had CD for 10 yrs ,but now it all seems very new to me and even scarier. And to top it off, I'm still very weak. Walking to the bathroom completely takes the wind out of me. The pain is horrible and sometimes I feel a weird "tight" sensation under my ribs/lower right stomach. I'm not sure if something is going on in there or if I'm just worrying too much. :(
I'm sorry for the long post. I can honestly say though that in these past ten yrs ( I was dx at 18), I didn't take my CD seriously. I even remember thinking I was cured because I haven't had a flare in almost 3 years. So I guess this time, the severity, the length of time, meds not seeming to work like previously, the thoughts of death in head, it's been a really scary time.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such a severe flare. Every flare can be and often is different. What meds are you on now? Are you almost done your taper of pred? What is your GI recommending for you next?

Stay strong & remember it will get better.

Thanks for your reply Lisa. Right now the only meds that I'm on is the prednisone and remicade. I have about 3 wks left ntil I'm tapered from the pred. I have another remicade infusion coming up in about a week and I believe the GI wants me to do another colonoscopy; this time with me knocked completely out so they can look everywhere.

Something I have found really helped my daughter a lot (she's 21 and has been suffering with Crohns for the past six year - in a severe flare for over a year now) is vitamin D3. Have you had your vitamin D level tested lately? Vitamin D controls inflammation which can run rampant in the body. Once she got her D level up by taking 5,000 to 10,000 IUs of D3, all her bleeding stopped. Now she is trying to control the diarrhea with diet. She was on Remicade for just under three years but suffered side affects and after two years, it stopped working, so she is med free now and doesn't plan to go back on meds, if she can avoid it.

Ask your GI what your ng/nl level is and if it below 50, consider taking 5,000 to 10,000 IUs of D3 everyday along with 400 MCGs of folic acid and some calcium. Not only will it help control the inflammation in your body, but it will also give you more energy.

Please keep me posted on your progress & keep all your options open, with surgery as being your very last option.

Take care.

Wow thanks Lisa! I never knew that Vitamin D helped with inflammation. I will check on that! And I will keep you updated. Once again thank you so much!

Vitamin D3 is like taking Remicade but it is less expensive, works better than Remicade for many CD patients, and is natural. Vitamin D is often misunderstood as it is a hormone that everyone needs to maintain sufficient levels of in order to be healthy. Why they call it a vitamin is beyond me, but that is beside the point. Check out "The Vitamin D Council" website and you will see where Vitamin D3 supplements help alleviate all sorts of ailments from MS to IBD to psorasis to arthritis. http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/ The healing qualities of D3 are amazing!

Try taking 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D3, 400 MCGs of Folic Acid (Folic Acid is a profactor of D3) and 600 MGs of Calcium everyday and you will begin seeing results in about a week. Give it a try! It's inexpensive and can't hurt you.

I look forward to hear how you are doing over the next few weeks!

:ghug:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi cca2013. I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through. :(

Your symptoms definitely sound like a stricture that's causing a partial blockage (the burning sensation, bloating, the amount of pain etc) and I hope they can find it and treat it properly.

I may have read your post wrong but were you only getting Remicade when you were admitted to the hospital? Our bodies can build up antibodies to it so its something you want to keep having done rather than stop and go. Sounds like its not doing enough right now and I hope that's more of a dosage issue rather than an antibody issue.

Please keep us posted on what happens. :hug:

This may sound overly strange, but my grandad was diagnosed with a disease in his bowel
And he went to the docors and they said to him "this may sound very strange , but everynight before you go to bed for a month, say to yourself that you do not have this disease, say it repeatedly, believe in yourself, and then come back to me in a month and i can guarentee you wont have this disease anymore," a month later he returned to the doctors and told them the disease had gone, he no longer goes through pain...... I have been a strong believer since, everynight for a month or 2 , before you go to bed, say to yourself that you do not have crohns and you will never have crohns, you never know it maywell work, but you have got to belive it, i have been doing the same for a week now, and i do believe it could work, try it! MAYBE it could be a cure for crohns.... P.s let me know if you try it or not.

Thanks again Lisa! My mother picked up some vitamins for me and I'm not sure if that did the trick or the third Remicade infusion I had, but right after the infusion, I noticed I felt about 50% better! It's been about two days and I'm still taking my vitamins and still feeling good. Yesterday was the first day in nearly two months I was able to wake up without running to the bathroom in pain. I'm not sure if this is good or not (I think it is though), but I haven't had to poop in two days. The urge is gone when beforehand it was 20x a day...sometimes I would even have accidents for not making it in time.
My energy isn't all there still, but I no longer feel like a walking corpse which is awesome. I'm able to walk up stairs again and even have a convo over the phone (last week...no way...I was too exhausted).
I am still having a bit of pain though...mostly on my lower right side. My crohns has always been on my left side only...so I'm wondering why the pain on my right side. I guess I will find out soon.
I have another appt coming up for a colonoscopy. I'm a bit afraid to go though; I feel like I may be finally getting out of this horrible flare and I don't want to do anything to bring it back. I know that some after a colonoscopy get flares, so that's why I'm nervous.

Thanks for your response Jennifer! The burning sensation has disappeared. I do have another colonoscopy coming up so hopefully whatever that was/is, it's figured out and able to be treated. But I too believe it was some kind of blockage. Ever since my last infusion however, I do feel better and I'm not pooping anymore (don't have the urge), but I'm able to pass gas.
And I will be getting the Remicade on a regular basis. I was able to get Medi-Cal and the hospital is giving me regular appts. I'm good for an entire year. This past infusion was my third and my next is in four weeks.

Thanks Amiekinsey! You're absolutely right! The mind is very powerful and my mom tells me to keep positive all the time. I actually convinced myself for years I didn't have CD for years and maybe that's why I was flare free? But after this flare...the severity...length of time, I became a bit depressed, scared and even touched a bit with anxiety. I know I need to get positive again and I'm working on it. But thank you so much for your response. I really needed to hear this again!

And I'm so happy for your Grandfather! What an amazing story!