• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Would you email your GI your beefs?

Hi there. I had a gi apt today to address symptoms I have had over the last 6 weeks. I have been in remission, but in the last six weeks, I have felt frequent nausea, pain in the lrq, diahrea, bloating, etc. Also, dizziness and losss of balance here and there. After waiting to get into the to the GI, the appointment lasted only a couple minutes. He thought that because of labs and a clear scope in May, it couldn't be crohn's. He prescribed questran, explained nothing about it, and suggested that my issues with mood were likely causes. That's it-appointment over. So what Iam I to do about the debilitating impact of these non-specific symptoms? Where do I go from here?

I wrote this email to get out into print, but I have been around the block enough to know I should settle down before sending. So I thought I would ask this community for advice. Here its is:

I am writing to express my disappointment and frustration with my appointment with you today. I made the appointment after several weeks of symptoms that have very negatively affected my ability to work and live. The appointment itself was only available 2.5 weeks after contacting the office for help. Though I was in the office for maybe 30 minutes, and spoke with the fellow for 5 minutes, I think I spoke with you for maybe 2 minutes. You didn't even sit down. It seemed that because my symptoms did not seem to you to be directly related to Crohn's, there was no time or effort to be invested in figuring out what the cause actually is. I felt blown off and dismissed, to be honest. The other complaint is that I was prescribed questran with absolutely NO discussion of what the drug could be like, how I was supposed to take it, how the drug works, and how it might effect me adversely- no discussion whatsoever. Then at the end, you mentioned that if its mood related, I should look into that. If you were to stop for a second and look, you'd see that I am on medications for these things, and have a relationship with a psychiatrist. You might have even considered that perhaps the meds I am on for these issues may contribute to gastrointestinal issues.
I do not mean to be contrary, and I certainly don't question your interest in providing good care. This appointment, however, as I said, left me feeling that my current issues are of no concern and all in my head. How am I supposed to proceed from here if these symptoms don't improve or if they get worse? Even though they are "non-specific", they are having a serious impact on my day to day functioning, and I need some help.
After reading some about questran, I won't be taking it. If always had diarrhea, I would consider it. Since I do not, I am put off by its potential to cause constipation, increase the risk of intestinal blockages, and decrease absorption of important vitamins.
----------

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Adam

I think you should definitely let your GI know how upset you are about your last appointment. It is very important to have a great relationship with your doctor and if you feel he won't listen to your concerns then maybe it's time to fire him. I have done this with a doctor after they messed up with paperwork and he proceeded to talk to me like I was his child who he was punishing. And it was their fault! He's lucky my husband wasn't in the room. I would send the email and if you still feel your doctor isn't listening then I would look for a new one. Best of luck to you and I hope you start to feel better. Trust your gut! (Even if it does attack us some days)

i would definately send it. ive fired a few drs. even one time in the hospital. had to fire him face to face but his neglegance almost killed me. its your body and you know it best. dont worry about hurting there egos for some of them need to hear it to remind them were human! good luck!