• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yay!

yay!

Just heard from the nurse that Alex's bloodwork shows a drop in SED rate from 36 to 6. Yay! He's had the two loading doses of Humira and we learn how to give him the maintenance syringe dose on Monday <gulp>. He's gained back 4 lbs in about 3 weeks too. whew.... for the moment anyway!

:soledance: SWEEET, Jenn.
Violet's lactoferrin went from over 3000 to 105! So I know how you're feeling about now.
I guess HUMIRA is our frienemy (yes this is a word from 6th grade slang lexicon)

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
That's awesome Jenn! It will be interesting to see if it helps with the psoriasis and conjunctivitis issues as well. I hope for continued good news!!:)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
What a fab update Jenn!!! I am so happy for you and your boy. :):):) Long may it continue hun...:hug:

And Julie!!! Wonderful, wonderful news for your girl too! :):):) May it keep on keeping on mate...:hug:

Dusty. :heart:

The syringe shot went well last night, Alex hardly cried at all, he was so brave. I think the ice pack helped numb it the most, plus, it was a smaller dosage and no pop like the pen. The hardest part was just getting up the nerve to stick it (the nurse helped with questions, use a dart-like motion - eeeeep!). but really, it was pretty easy and he was fine within a few minutes. Much, much more comfortable at home too. whew. We see his GI next week, hopefully this will help him for a long time.

Alex has started up baseball again. Last year, he wasn't able to finish the season because of a new fistula, hopeful for this year! I got really upset at his game though, when another mom would not stop talking about Alex's height, apparently her -awesome-of-course- kids are tall and isn't it funny how a kid two years older could be so much shorter? I had to walk away. Sometimes, I like to make people aware that there are issues, but it just felt like fishing and she didn't deserve my attention. I know I'm extra-sensitive on this issue, but bah, people can really ramble stupidly!

Dexky - remicade was just starting to help on his psoriasis (his dermatologist said it can take longer - like 5-6 months to work) whenremicade stopped working altogether. He has a few rashes now, I guess Humira both helps and causes them? weird, but it's very mild. His conjunctivitis is flaring right now too, it's springtime again! :)

Crohn's Mom

Im so happy to hear the syringes were easier !

That mom that said that ~ well, maybe you should have accidentally kicked some dirt in her eye ! :voodoo: I hope your son didn't hear that :frown:
I mean really, how insensitive ! Does she think kids want to be "short"?

My youngest son (14 today) is one of the shortest kids his age; he's 4'10 and dreaming of being even just 5 ft. When I asked him what would he like for his birthday the other day he responded with "A growth spurt!". :ylol:

Tell your son if anyone insults him on his height, to just respond with, "Hey, be careful...Dynamite comes in small packages!" :hallo3: :devil: :hallo3:

Yeah, syringes are best according to V as she likes that she can control the speed at which the drug goes in. VEERRY slowly = less pain.

A mother who feels the need to comment that way must have some inadequacy issues; perhaps her boy has problems or she herself does.
I would've said straight out, "why do you feel the need to remark upon such an inconsequential thing?" and put her on the spot.
:p

Alex didn't hear her, thankfully. As far as I know she didn't know he has Crohn's though we are fairly open about it. I'm fine with the initial comment - people always say stuff about appearances, right? but she couldn't seem to stop! and seriously, none of us can control our genes. Alex is pretty good about it, his class and teammates all really like him, I don't think he gets teased at all. He wears a yoda t-shirt: 'judge me by my size, do you?' Very cute. we are all on the short side, but he is extra-short. we are trying! :)

Crohn's Mom - happy birthday to your youngest son! My oldest turns 14 in a couple weeks and he is just 5'1, dying for the last couple inches to pass me up. :)

Catherine

My middle daughter is 5ft 2 in (aged 15) would like one more inch. My eldest Sarah (age 16) is hoping that she has stopped growing at 5ft 8.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Jenn,

What an awful woman! OMG, unbelievable when people make thoughtless comments like that! I'm with Julie - that woman must have some insecurity issues of her own! :voodoo:

I'm glad Monday's shot went relatively well! :)

Crohn's Mom

So I thought I'd tell ya this - we went for JJ's 14 year physical today and doc charted his "growth" pattern and determined that he's the height of an almost average 12 year old! Lol. So here we are sitting and waiting on a bone age X-ray :p
Poor lil munchkin of mine lol.
I was mad tho when the doc also tried to start talking to him about his weight because he's in the 75% for his age - I said leave him alone until he finally grows ! Jjs not even "fat" or "heavy" - grrrrrrrr

I know how you all feel. Caitlyn is at least 2-3 inches shorter then she would have been without Crohns. She has stopped growing. Thank goodness she is okay with it. My other daughter on the other hand who has neurofibromatosis is the shortest in her class and keeps asking when she is going to get her growth spurt.

Catherine

Crohn's mom

My middle daughter is well short of what should been expected using parent heights. I going to list.the blood test done by paed.

FBE ESR UEC LFT TSH CA PHOS TGAB GLIAD IGA CHROMOB and bone age.

I know he was trying to exclude kidney and liver problems, result she is just short for family.

Alex had a bone-age hand xray, he's 2 years delayed because of the Crohn's. delayed, not skipped at least, I was hoping he'd catch up faster now that we are treating. My older boy is 25% for height, about what you'd expect based on me and his dad and even where Alex was before he fell off the chart. seems most of the other kids are 75-90%, so it makes him look smaller. I am the shortest of my family. My brother was shortest til about high school, then, wham, he's 6'2. ... crazy genes! :)