• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yikes! Anyone had EYE problems with Crohns?

Hello Friends,
My doctors suspect I have Crohn's but are having a hard time diagnosing it. This morning, I woke up with a swollen and drooping right eye. I've been waking up most mornings with some type of eye problem (red, burning, blurry, etc), but nothing quite this bad so far. The inflammation seems to have gone down in my eye, but I'm still in a lot of pain in my abdomen and knees.
I understand this may happen with Crohns... but it just seems too weird! Anyone else had this?

I am in the exact same boat. Havent been diagnosed, but we're all pretty sure .. just waiting for biospy results. and im having the absolute exact same problems with my eyes. :( hope there are ways of preventing this ...

We were just at the optometrist for eye exams yesterday, my son has Crohn's and the Dr. asked if he was having any problems with his eyes (he's not), she said that when inflammation is active the eyes can also get inflamed, she went on to say that when this happens to just come in for some eye drops as the inflammation will not go away on it's own but can actually be treated easily.
Don't know if this is your situation, just letting you know what was told to us.
Hope you find relief for your eyes soon.

I've had eye problems in the past related to Crohn's. It cleared up after I used a cream prescribed to me by an optometrist. I was told to get it checked out if I had eye problems because certain eye problems can damage your eye if left untreated.

I had uveitis in both eyes prior to being diagnosed by Crohn's - apparently it's one of the more common extra-intestinal symptoms.

Both eyes were red and very sensitive to light, making them sore but kind of bruised-feeling sore rather than the eyeball itself hurting. No droopiness though... I was on steroid eye-drops that clear the symptoms almost immediately but it kept coming back and they couldn't figure out why. Then came the crazy intestinal side of Crohn's, i got my diagnosis and the Pred they put me on for that completely cleared up the eye thing!

Still feel that my eyes are sometimes more sensitive to light than they used to be but nothing i can't live with.

Hope you get a diagnosis soon

E

Ezequiel

Wow!

This is one of my major issues outside of constant stomach/intestinal cramps.

I have not been diagnosed with anything yet, but I thought I was going crazy when I started seeing "fluttering" in my eye (a transparent flame like effect).

In the last 6 months (I have had some terrible stomach problems) the fluttering has increased, sensitivity to light and also I get a lot of conjunctivitus type issues. Dry eye etc.

Strange to say the eye stuff, usually comes hand in hand with me feeling terrible in the stomach/guts

I have recurrent episcleritis in my left eye. Sometimes I need steroid eye drops to get rid of it. My gastroenterologist says it's related to the Crohn's. I get a skin rash too. They seem to all kick off at the same time! Lovely.