• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Yoghurt, fermentation and lactose

SCD Yoghurt, fermentation only removes 50% of the lactose?

I have read that in the fermentation of yoghurt process, the bacteria can only break down lactose to some extent, this is due to the production of acid. Due to so much as let the yogurt ferment it will never be without lactose.

In fact, the fermentation can only break of 10% to 30% of lactose.

Then the scd yogurt has only 30% reduction of lactose?

Last edited:
As far as I've read, SCD yogurt is fermented for 24 hours, and the claim is that after 24 hours close too 100% of the lactose is broken down. I haven't read much else about making yogurt so I'm not sure. Could it be that 10-30% is for store-bought yogurt and 100% is for homemade SCD yogurt?

In the book breaking the vicious cycle it actually says to ferment it "beyond 24 hours" so i believe that means at least 24 hours, its actually kind of badly written, they should have given some kind of range like 24-36 hours or something like that, or a precise amount of time. i ferment it 30-36 hours, because that is beyond 24, I GUESS that's right, haha.

ui have never seen any official scientific documentation as to how much lactose is left after this amount of fermentation, lets just say the yogurt tastes really tangy at this point, and lactose is definitely lower then yogurt fermented @4 hours.

What I have read is, as the bacteria ferments the milk, they produce acid latic, it increases the Ph of the milk, and when the milk reaches some level of acidic, they cannot processes the lactose anymore.
Then it not matters how much time you let it ferment, the bacteria will stop fermenting at 30~50%.

dave13

Forum Monitor
In Breaking The Viscous Cycle it says to leave yogurt for at least 24 hours and not more than 36.

I have read that in the fermentation of yoghurt process, the bacteria can only break down lactose to some extent, this is due to the production of acid. Due to so much as let the yogurt ferment it will never be without lactose.

In fact, the fermentation can only break of 10% to 30% of lactose.

Then the scd yogurt has only 30% reduction of lactose?
The bacteria eat lactose and when there is none left they stop eating.
They like an acidic environment.
SCD legal yougurt should be approaching 100% lactose free.

"What is the difference between SCD yogurt and any other plain yogurt? Since, lactose must be avoided on SCD, SCD yogurt is processed for at least 24 hours to ensure that all the lactose has been consumed by the starter bacteria. Commercial yogurts are processed for much less time. Also, commercial yogurts add sugar and milk solids after the processing so they are unsuitable for SCD. You must make your own. "
http://scdwiki.com/index.php?title=Yogurt
"Try a teaspoon the first day and watch for any reaction, if all is well, try two the second day, gradually increase it each day."
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....etail/yoghurt-why-scd-yogurt-is-so-important/